#128 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Maiji Mountain Caves in Tianshui, Gansu)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Gansu » TianShui
December 18th 2010
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tianshui City is the second largest city in Gansu Province of China, and is located about 4 hours S.E. of Lanzhou, the capitol of Gansu, the largest city in Gansu. Tianshui City, a smaller community of some 5 Million inhabitants, is continuing to develop into a more modern city, but still retains much of the flavor of an older Chinese city along the Yellow River. As one of the main settlement... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

An Impressive SightAn Impressive Sight
An Impressive Sight

The Grand Buddha is in a chaired posture, flanked by 2 Bodhisattvas.
OTHER Colossal Buddhas at Cave 13 on Maiji ShanOTHER Colossal Buddhas at Cave 13 on Maiji Shan
OTHER Colossal Buddhas at Cave 13 on Maiji Shan

These huge statues originally date from the Sui Dynasty (581 A.D. - 618 A.D). They were later repaired during the Ming Dynasty (1368 A.D - 1644 A.D.)
Serene Giant BuddhaSerene Giant Buddha
Serene Giant Buddha

The skills of the ancient artisans are obvious in the serene face of the Buddha.
The 50-ft shape of the seated Giant Buddha extend high into Maiji Shan/MountainThe 50-ft shape of the seated Giant Buddha extend high into Maiji Shan/Mountain
The 50-ft shape of the seated Giant Buddha extend high into Maiji Shan/Mountain

The impressive figure of a 50-ft (16-m) tall seated Buddha and 40-ft (13-m) tall attending Bodhisattvas are located on the eastern cliff and were first created during Sui Dynasty, some 1,400 years ago.
These are actually clay sculptures.These are actually clay sculptures.
These are actually clay sculptures.

Some of the figures are formed over a rough wooden skeleton, that was covered in wheat husks, hemp, reeds and mud before being smeared with a final layer of sculptured clay.
The holes around the statues were probably used to support a protective framework.The holes around the statues were probably used to support a protective framework.
The holes around the statues were probably used to support a protective framework.

This seated, Grand Buddha image, flanked by Bodhisattvas present an impression of profound glory.
Other holes were part of the support system of the wooden skeleton.Other holes were part of the support system of the wooden skeleton.
Other holes were part of the support system of the wooden skeleton.

The abundant use of clay sculptures places the Maiji Shan in a distinctive position among rock-cut cave sanctuaries of China.
Some of the Caves are closed to visitors.Some of the Caves are closed to visitors.
Some of the Caves are closed to visitors.

Because of vandalism during various parts of Chinese history, some caves are now protected by grills.
Cave 43 is the tomb of a Wei Dynasty Empress.Cave 43 is the tomb of a Wei Dynasty Empress.
Cave 43 is the tomb of a Wei Dynasty Empress.

The Wei Dynasty (386 A.D. - 584 A.D.)was good to MaijiShan, as much of the works were didicated by those with the financial means to do so.
297 stone-core clay sculptures of Buddha297 stone-core clay sculptures of Buddha
297 stone-core clay sculptures of Buddha

These neatly arranged rows contain 297 sculptures of Buddha, and cover a 120-ft (37-m) wide area on the cliff.
297 Stone-core Clay Sculptures of Buddha.297 Stone-core Clay Sculptures of Buddha.
297 Stone-core Clay Sculptures of Buddha.

Arranged neatly in 6 rows, they were carved during the Northern Zhou period, 1,500 years ago.
Cave 9 contain the Middle Seven Buddhas.Cave 9 contain the Middle Seven Buddhas.
Cave 9 contain the Middle Seven Buddhas.

I researched, that these figures show a transitional phase between Indian-influenced sculptures and later Song-era figures of 1,100 years ago.
The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 4The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 4
The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 4

The statues are well-proportioned and slim in stature, with realistic drapes to their clothes.



17th December 2010

Fantastic place, fantastic pictures
Wonderful blog of a fantastic place, I really would like to visit in the future. Thank you. I would be grateful if you could include some details of how one reaches the Maiji mountain, I have looked previously for information but it was hard to find anything useful.
17th December 2010
Departing Maiji Shan, Photo 3

hi,i am coming now . pic is very nice~!
17th December 2010
Maiji Shan/Mountain near Tianshui, Gansu, China

how are you?
long time no see !but ,I always thinking about you,I used to writes your name in my book.book.please call me as soon as posiblle!!
18th December 2010

It is amazing
I would love to visit there one day,
19th December 2010

Merry Xmas Hans!
Hi Hans This looks wonderful, although at this stage I'm having trouble downloading the photos. (Only a few are loading) I think perhaps the site is experiencing heavier than normal traffic. I'll try again tomorrow. You're a braver person than I with those staircases!!!! Tooo scary for me! Hope all goes well with you. I'm working right up until Xmas Eve then just one week off. Are you heading away for the winter hols?
20th December 2010

your description about Tianshui is very deeply, more than Chinese people, this is a wonderful things... miss you best wishes for you. we will travel together some days.
30th December 2010
Departing Maiji Shan, Photo 3

wow
you are so cool!
26th March 2011

The mountain looks serene and divine. It's imaginable, how prosperous in the past the place might be. To wind up the Maijishan worshipping their buddhas, desciples must have no fear of the vertical staircases!
10th September 2012

THAKS FOR THIS ALBUM FOR ALL
MAYBE I NEVER GO TO THESE SITE...BUT WHIT YOUR PHOTOS, I HAVE A BETTER VISIÓN OF THE WORLD......THANKS.

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 137; dbt: 0.2369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb