Nearing the end


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 31st 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.9165, 116.391

Sunday morning we woke about 7-30 and turned on the TV to watch the women's Marathon. This was more competitive than the men's with a large pack staying together for much of the race. Coming into the stadium there were still 3 women in contention but the Ethiopian made the break enough to ensure the gold medal from a Kenyan and a Kenyan representing Bahrain. An exciting finish.
Meanwhile we had breakfasted and Fletcher used his V from hisaccreditation to order a car to take us to the Australian Embassy. The Ambassador was hosting an informal lunch for members of the Australian team and various hangers-on from Australia at the Embassy. It was supposed to be from 12-2. We were warned to leave early as there were fears that the traffic may be heavy with road closures for the Marathon, etc. Embarassingly the trip was very short and saw us standing at the Embassy gates at 11-20am. However, there was no problem. We had to show our passports and accreditation and then we were ushered in by Lisa, from Public Affairs. She was very hospitable and had met Melissa when she had been there a few weeks before with the Minister, Simon Birmingham.

The function was held in Matilda's bar, a proper Aussie sports bar, equipped with a pool table, a dart board and Large screens showing sport on the wall. We requested whether they had the football on Australian TV and much to my delight there was the game between the Crows and West Coast. We also grabbed a stubby each of Cooper's Pale Ale. After 2 weeks, did that feel good?? We were the first there but not much time passed before the Australian Team, or part thereof, arrived. We met up with David Tarbotton from NSW whom I knew was there but hadn't seen. He is a Statistician Nut like Fletcher!! Eventually more guests arrived including members of the Embassy staff, particularly some kids who got a thrill from meeting the team members.

Lunch was a buffet of lovely salads, Lamb chops, some Vietnamese cold spring rolls and great sandwiches. Wholesome and delicious Aussie food. I was very content watching the Crows demolish West Coast while drinking a lovely Knapstein Reisling. All in all a great afternoon. Frances, the Ambassador (she is originally from Adelaide and spoke highly of Minister Birmingham's team, aka, Melissa). greeted us in a pleasant way and was very diplomatic and warm in her manner.We all posed for a group photo and then it was back to the car which was waiting to pick us up. Zoe Bryson and Brian Roe joined us and we sped happily back to the Intercontinental.

After an afternoon nap we caught the 6pm bus to the stadium for the final night of competition.
Another amazing night. The women's javelin ebbed and flowed with Moller from Germany finally throwing a PB of 67 metres to clinch it. The Men's High Jump was riveting. 5 men cleared 2-33 but all faltered at 2-36. This led to a 3 way jump off with Drouin from Canada, Bondarenko form the Ukraine and Zhang from China all contesting. They all missed their fourth at 2-36 but Drouin cleared at 2-34 to win with the other two sharing the silver medal!
The 4x400m relays were nail biting affairs with Jamaica securing the Gold for the women and the USA was challenged by Trinidad and Tobago in the men's but held on for the win.
The closing ceremony was as joyful as the opening with lots of school children waving flags and happy songs. The flag was passed to London where the 2017 World Champs will be held. We are already planning to be there. We then walked back to the hotel where Peter Thompson, courtesy of Hokka One One bought some drinks for us and we enjoyed good company from Richard from Wales and John Cain from England. We eventually retired about 3am. It had been a fantastic Championship with great people and amazing competition.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb