The City of contrasts


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 1st 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed out to do some shopping and see the city without our guide Jack.

Today is the first day of National Holidays, a 7 day public holiday. The streets and subways were filled with even more people than usual but it's all just part of the fun. We went into Wangfujing shopping area and again Michael and I were approached by some girls wanting to chat in english and have a coffee. It seemed a bit sus so we declined. I have looked this up on google and I think it was a scam called the Beijing tea Scam, where they get you to a restaurant, order heaps at an extremely overpriced rate and muscle you up to pay.

Even worse is the 'we don't have your size scam" - nothing sinister involved here just it's hard to find shoes or clothes big enough to fit ! Regardless it's still great fun being here and looking around. It really is a place of great contrasts. Yesterday we were climbing a defensive wall constructed 600 years ago near villages that you could buy and today I'm standing in a showroom looking at the new V10 Audi R8 convertible.

I'm really enjoying buying food from street vendors and practicing my chinese on them - they really get a kick out of you speaking to them with more than just nihao & xie xie. Speaking of food Michael had some scorpion, snake and a rather large hairy spider on a stick - ew ! i tried the snake and it was great but I'm not into arachnids !


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb