Peking duck and opera


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
September 22nd 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We have been out all day and just got back from a night at the opera.Peking opera is an amazing experience.Google it and get a taste but seeing and listening to it is really a treat and of course when in Peking how could you not go to the opera.The day started with an excursion to a travel agent that speaks english,or so the book says.The process here is interesting as you can go down to the reception desk in Bob's building and show them where you want to go.They in turn write it out on a card in Chinese that you give to the taxi driver and after a few nods and some exchange of knowing looks and grunts you are off with fingers crossed. It all worked as planned and we wound up at Swan International Travel. There was in fact an english speaking girl there who sat down with the manager and Ann and I to talk about and plan the next couple of weeks. We are to go back in the morning to see if it has all come together from their end. After the travel experience we needed a pearl break and took another taxi to the pearl market.What aplace with 4 floors of everything from electronics/watches on one floor shoes and leather,silks on another and pearls on another.I know I know I said 4 floors.Still a mystery tio us also but regardless the pearls were beautiful and every size shape and colour. Needless to say we have pearls in our posession as well as a belt ,two Mao Tse Tung watches,so cool waving at the people, and a couple of posters from the revolution with wide eyed youth following the great communicator to battle. The shopping tired us out so it was another taxi to find Peking duck a local speciality here for 700 years. Similar in design to mooshu pork or a fajita at mexis but more flourish. A chef skices the duck into thin slicces and piles them on a bed of lettuce.they bring small trays of sauces and some thin rice tortillas.I am sure they are not called tortillas but you get the idea.with chopsticks remember you build the thing with duck saude some vegetables and then fold it into an envelop.Tricky,Ann got the hang of it I used my fingers.Also with the duck was duck soup and we ordered asparagus and brocolli which were cooked perfectly.Oh yes and we were served half the duck head!!! Left that behind. A couple of Tsing Tao beers to wash it all down and we were ready to go again.Taxui back to Bob and Nadias where we blew through to change greet Carlo from school and collect our laundry the "aiyee" washed for us today.Taki to the opera and now time for bed. Tomorrow we are going to see the acrobats and the great wall trip seems to be coming together for saturday. Bye for now bloggers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb