The Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
December 27th 2006
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tower #20Tower #20Tower #20

A steep climb, a breathtaking view. Ahead lies only crumbles of the wall - yet to be restored.
NOW, WE CAN SAY WE’VE BEEN TO CHINA!!

Chairman Mao is quoted to have said that “you haven’t been to China, until you’ve been to the Great Wall.” Be that true, then we have officially arrived. In all it’s splendor, the Mutianu section of the Great Wall is absolutely breathtaking as it traverses the crest of the mountainous region like the scales on the back of a dragon. The day, though dry and bone chilling cold, was sunny and clear. In the distance, a series of watchtowers stuck out along the hilltop, disconnected since no wall was needed for this very rough terrain area. Watchtowers are spaced approximately two arrow flights apart so that each tower can notify the next of invaders. I ask our guide, “Did the wall work to protect the country?” “No.” she laughs. “Because the country was still susceptible to human practices of bribery.” Atop one of the watchtowers, a swiss architect and his musician friends discuss along with us the similarity of this wall to our own USA/Mexico wall now being built. Is it too, only as strong as those who guard it??

We walk the wall for more than 2 hours, slowly savoring
Watchtowers Watchtowers Watchtowers

No wall needed on top of this mountain crest, yet the towers are still there for a lookout.
the panoramic mountain views and enjoying the sting in our muscles as we climb the steep portions until we reach a spot too dangerous for any further progress. This section of the wall has been in this location since 3rd century BC in the Qin dynasty, was rebuilt in the Ming dynasty (early 1400’s), and more recently restored in the 1980’s. Much of it; however, is still untouched since the Ming dynasty time and Jessie marvels at the prospect of picking up a crumbled portion and realizing it was laid there before Columbus sailed the ocean blue.


Walking slowly and hearing the stories of the wall, the soldiers, and the emperors, is what we came to Beijing to do. Speaking with other foreign visitors and locals like the woman who climbs miles up the wall every day to sell water, as well as meandering along the little “tourist” shops at the bottom of the hill leading to the wall, make for a sensory enriching experience. We purchase many of the dried nuts and fruits in the little market and taste them more sharply and enjoy them more deeply for satisfying our post walk hunger.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wall walkWall walk
Wall walk

Inviting us to continue on our walk....
A little red goes a long way...A little red goes a long way...
A little red goes a long way...

O'k, so I just like this photo.


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb