Blown away in Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
June 3rd 2005
Published: June 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

As my first introduction to mainland China, Beijing was not what I expected. The city is large, vibrant and quite modern. The people are incredibly friendly and happy and the entire city is excited about the upcoming 2008 Olympics.

Our flight from Hong Kong landed at night so our first job was dinner (as Joe is always hungry). Our guide Josh (an energetic 26 year old whose english is ok) took us to a strip of popular eateries and bars alongside a manmade lake. Among other delectibles, we partook of Mutton on a stick which was cooked by a lady on the roadside. As the first photo shows, once again the people are very interested in meeting westerners.

Our first activity was to visit the great wall. But, as we are on a tour, we periodically have to visit state-owned shops (before we reach our tourist destination) where aggressive sales people hawk bits and bobbles. The first shop was a Jade plant where we had the opportunity to see workers carve the precious stone. Of course, Joe got lured into buying something. As for the Great Wall, as the tour was pre-planed, we had to visit the Badaling portion which is heavily trafficked by tourists. Much of the wall has been refurbished but it is still an amazing sight. Joe and I treked about 1.5 miles of the wall which at some points had an incline of 75 degrees! This truly is a great wall! While the sun was out most of the day (my luck with weather so far is great), a quick rain storm did hit us while on the wall. I, the ever ready traveler, quickly donned my windbreaker while all others ran for cover. It only lasted a few minutes. Later that day we visited the Kings Tomb area.

At night, I left joe to sleep while I caught a Chinese Acrobat show. Amazing feats of strenght and agility. I am still in awe of the show.

Next morning we strolled through the Temple of Heaven which is a large park. Numerous groups doing Tai Chi and other activities (balancing a ball on a small paddle while doing slow moves). we also came across a group singing in beautiful harmony. Our guide explained that these are unemployed people gathered to sing and pray. It was then off to the tiananmen square which was impressive due to its size. the image of the sole guy standing in front of the tank quickly comes to mind although you quickly snap back to reality when you see the large olympic clock counting down the days/hours/minutes/seconds to opening ceremony. From the square we took the underground passage way to reach the Forbidden city. It was underground that I was almost run over by a group of soilders marching (see photo).

That night joe and I caught the Monk Martial Arts show but we both kept nodding off due to our exhaustion. The parts I did see were smartly choreographed and executed, especially when they broke metal and stone using their heads.

Our last day in Beijing was spend visiting the Summer Palace, a charming lake area with an exquisite castle overlooking it all. Joe and I accidently lost our tour guide and when he finally found us with our driver, he was pissed and a 15 minute argument broke out which ended with laughs.

In all Beijing helped me realize that China is on the verge (if not already) becoming a superpower in the world. The people are smart, friendly and ambitious. Everyone seem optimistic especially with the olympics coming in 2008. The capital city is a wonderful blend of current techology and luxury coupled with a turbulent yet honored past. I look forward to visting the other cities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Early morning exercise in Temple of Heaven parkEarly morning exercise in Temple of Heaven park
Early morning exercise in Temple of Heaven park

A group participate in an activity where they balance a ball on a paddle while performing balance moves.
Me and Kids in T squareMe and Kids in T square
Me and Kids in T square

I posed with these small gymnasts and then lots of Chinese people came over and wanted to take pictures with me.
Army MarchingArmy Marching
Army Marching

While taking the underpass to reach the Forbiden City, I was almost run over by these marching soilders.
Chairman MaoChairman Mao
Chairman Mao

Entering the Forbiden City, there is a large poster of the famous leader.
Statue in the Forbidden CityStatue in the Forbidden City
Statue in the Forbidden City

I was attracted to this statue for some reason. In the background you can see the work being done in preparation for the Olympics.
Summer Palace of the Emporer (Qing Dynasty)Summer Palace of the Emporer (Qing Dynasty)
Summer Palace of the Emporer (Qing Dynasty)

We took a boat across the lake to reach the summer palace and have lunch.
Enjoying the rideEnjoying the ride
Enjoying the ride

I sit back and relax on the short cruise to the summer palace
AmbidextriousAmbidextrious
Ambidextrious

On the walk along the lake near the summer palace, a guy writes japanesse with both hands using brooms.
Ugly Duckling in ChinaUgly Duckling in China
Ugly Duckling in China

We were treated to Peking Duck our last night in Beijing at the most prestigious duck restaurant in the town. Here the chef carves the duck at our table.
And they were Kung Foo FightingAnd they were Kung Foo Fighting
And they were Kung Foo Fighting

We caught the Monk Martial Arts show and I snapped this picture after the show.
Fly the Friendly Skies of ChinaFly the Friendly Skies of China
Fly the Friendly Skies of China

I snap a photo with the flight attendants on our flight from Beijing to Xian.


11th June 2005

Hey.
In response to your Malaysia question - check out Taman Negara - heard its amazing, mm KL is alright - head out to Batu Caves and go to Penang - stay around Lebuh Chulia its great. - especially at Blue Diamond guesthouse - you'll have the time of your life.
11th July 2005

i think that old man is writing chinese,not japanese..........

Tot: 0.43s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 33; qc: 157; dbt: 0.2523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb