Wal-Mart ~ always rolling back prices


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Wudaokou
July 3rd 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Lotus Center, conveniently located at the coroner of one of those intersections, is the equivalent of the American Wal-Mart. The store consists of three separate floors. First floor is used by individual retailers and other separate little shops. Simple stuff like a T-Shirt shop or purses or other stuff that will definitely sell better if it is a store and not being sold off the streets. The second floor consists of all the regular household appliances that you might find at a Wal-Mart from electrical fans, flashlights, and towels to sports equipment. The three most popular sports items are ping pong paddles, bad mitten rackets, and basketballs. Onto the third floor you find the grocery store.
All the floors are separated by these escalators. But they aren’t like the regular escalators in America nor are they quite like the moving conveyor belts at airports. But more a combination to form an inclined moving ramp. In which carts can be pushed onto and ride on up or down.
A few of the remarkably and surprisingly cheap items that I discovered in the grocery store included not just brand name products but also breads and fruits.
A single can of Coke—equivalent of 25 cents
A 12 pack of water—equivalent of $1. I mean one bottle of water at an amusement park in America costs $5
A single potato—equivalent of 10 cents
1 liter of tea—roughly 75 cents
16 rolls or bread—roughly $1.25
Standard pack of Oreos—probably about $1.50
However you still have some stuff that probably costs about the same as in America, such as brand name face wash products, sunscreen, and toothpaste. We will continue to return to the Lotus Center to buy snack foods and water that we can eat at the Hostel in our free time. Each time that I have been to the Lotus Center I have not spent over $4.00, and I have purchased a lot more food than what you can buy at a McDonalds for $4.00.
The Lotus Center was also the place where we all purchased cell phones and Sims Cards. This whole remarkable deal seemed to be about the same as probably buying a cheap phone in America. The phone cost about $25, and is really shitty, and then the Sims card cost another $14. So for a phone that I need for 2 months I spent only $40. However the phone has a very weak signal and very few applications to make use of it easier. The buttons are extremely tiny and some are already beginning to stick and not press properly.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb