Temple of Heaven 天壇


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Temple of Heaven
November 29th 2009
Published: November 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Temple of Heaven, 天壇 is a complex of Taoist buildings situated in the southeastern part of central Beijing, in Xuanwu District. The complex was visited by the Emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties for annual ceremonies of prayer to Heaven for good harvest. It is regarded as a Taoist temple.

The temple complex was constructed from 1406 to 1420 during the reign of the Yongle Emperor, who was also responsible for the construction of the Forbidden City in Beijing. The complex was extended and renamed Temple of Heaven during the reign of the Jiajing Emperor in the 16th century. The Temple of Heaven was renovated in the 18th century under the Qianlong Emperor.

Restoration in preparation for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics was completed in 2006. It is a World Heritage site.

You can get there very easy by subway line 5 exit A at the Tiantan Dongmen 天壇東門 station. It brings you right in front of the east gate. The admission fee is 30 rmb. The temple complex park is big but not that many buildings on it. You do not need as much time like the Palace Museum can spend the whole day. You can spend sometime shopping at the Hong Qiao Pearl Market 紅橋 across the east gate. It is mainly geared to the tourist like the Silk Market. You need to know your price before the bargaining.

Only the top floor is selling pearl, the other floors you can buy underwear to Rolex. It is more spacious than the Silk Market and has more electronic and camera stuff.

I am looking for a spare battery for my pocket camera. Since the camera is new no other places has it yet in Beijing. Even price in eBay is high, that is why I did not get one before the trip. This place they all have it. They all ask for 230 rmb and claims it is OME. I am not sure it is or not, but look better than the average after market one and come with a case and look real. The Asian packaging is usually different that Europe or North American. I offered 50 rmb, the first place do not go lower than 80 rmb. The same for the second place, I think this is their going price. However after some slow movement negotiation; intentionally slow down let them think and do not walk away. My final offer is 65 rmb, after consulting his partner and look up their cost. They sold it for 65 rmb. It is cheaper than I can get an after market one in eBay. It does not matter is OME or not, and do not need to deal with mail order.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb