China Open (tennis only)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
October 5th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Centre CourtCentre CourtCentre Court

For the last match we watched (against Safina)
Hello everybody.

Something pretty cool happened today - one of those moments when all the shame and embarrassment of hanging around Lloyd pays off. We got free tickets to the China Open. And not just cheap tickets - centre court tickets from 11:00 to 7:00PM - we got to see Djokovic, Venus Williams, Davina Safina, and we saw Roddick on one of the other courts - it was awesome.

And even better - cans of Heineken were only RMB10/can, so life was good.

I can't think of much to write though unfortunately - it's basically all we did all day - no exciting stories about getting there except that it took an awfully long time to get there because it's a lot further away than we expected, but even that only made us half an hour late. I could give you the scores I guess, but that would be a bit redundant...

Maybe I'll just post pictures of all the famous people we saw.

Oh, one thing that I can write about is that Chinese crowds are far too well behaved. They don't cheer for their favourites. They don't go "OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" when they are waiting for
Sister SerenaSister SerenaSister Serena

Not so happy at the end of the match - I have a new favourite Russian player
the HawkEye results, they just clap respectfully.

So Lloyd and I made it our mission to correct this situation! We have very little voices left, and with the exceptions of Lloyd's unabashed expressions of patriotic fervour (for the Chinese, in Chinese), which got a few laughs, we got a lot of very, very dirty looks from the crowd. They have no fun.

Anyway, that's about all that happened tonight. We grabbed some food at a Korean barbecue place, but it wasn't special enough to write anything about, so I'll just leave it there, I've strung this out as long as I can!

Hope everybody's well!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Lloyd & our very good friend!Lloyd & our very good friend!
Lloyd & our very good friend!

Lloyd should look embarrassed after what he called out, but he was proud of himself...
ZhangZhang
Zhang

Beat Safina - she was brilliant - better than the 223rd ranking!
Normal UniversityNormal University
Normal University

Better than the unusual university - just outside the tennis grounds.
LloydLloyd
Lloyd

It doesn't take much to qualify for the China Open
SUSIESUSIE
SUSIE

Totally dressed for tennis!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb