Impact


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Feng Tai District
July 31st 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have been teaching our wonderful students for seven days, and the word that continues to come to mind is impact. This experience is having a tremendous impact on all those involved; students and the teachers of both Jenison and Feng Tai.

I would not have guessed a week ago how much our students would improve in their written and oral English in this short time. We've been teaching them for only a week, but the progress is significant. Students that would barely speak a week ago are now engaging in complete exchanges and small conversations. Students that had a greater command of English prior are eagerly soaking in every new word and taking pride in demonstrating what they've learned. We believe this growth is due to two key factors. The first is obvious, the sheer volume of English they're hearing is more than anything else they have experienced. Seven days with five English speakers in a full immersion experience. The second reason is a cultural shift. In Chinese culture- as our Feng Tai counterparts have explained to us- people do not try to speak at all unless they are absolutely sure their English is perfect. In fact, even the head teacher at Feng Tai (who is fluent in English) did not speak to us at all until our 2nd day with her! Now we have had many extensive conversations as we've worked to build a relationship and her comfort level has increased. Needless to say, our teaching approach is much different. We are continually encouraging our students to try their English as well as teach strategies to help when they are unsure. This, paired with a great deal of encouragement and positive reinforcement (also not part of Chinese school culture) has been almost like magic in the way it has brought out their ability and confidence. We are so excited to see this continue during our second week!

The impact has also been felt by the Feng Tai teachers. We have worked with many teachers over the past week and have had such a positive response. They have commented repeatedly on the way we engage with students; whether we are teaching, on a field trip, or have a few minutes of free time we are talking and interacting with students. Another comment that has stood out to us is that 'team' is a priority. Focus on our teacher team and encouraging team work among students are both deviations from the typical Chinese mindset, but one that has been received with positivity and a goal to implement in the future.

Finally, there has been an incredible impact on our team. I cannot count the moments that have moved us. The growth we've seen in our students, the relationships that have developed with students and teachers, and the opportunity to collaborate on teaching strategy have been incredibly rewarding and something that we'll carry with us. Today the head teacher shared with us that before the camp started she didn't believe the students were 'capable' because they are not Feng Tai's best. But now, because of what she's seen she believes in them. This is why we are here, and we are so grateful for the opportunity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



31st July 2012

Congratulations!
I have been reading your blog eagerly. It sounds like it is a wonderful experience and a great beginning to a bridge! I'm really proud of all of you and the work you are doing. Who knew in public education you could impact a group of kids half way around the world!
31st July 2012

I am so very prou of all of you!! The love andHappy I see on the faces of the students and teachers should be how our Governments should relate, An old quote of my mother, "Oh the world should receive lessons of love from children, if they did and practiced them, there would be more laughter and less wars." There have many praying for this beautiful adventure you are experencing. Can"t hardly wait to hear more and see moe of the pictures of great number that have been taken. God has blessed this labor of love & peace. Travel safe--see you soon. Love & prayer always

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb