Let the teaching begin!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Feng Tai District
July 26th 2012
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With introductions complete we are now ready to dive in to what we came here to do- teach! A major component of this trip is to bring western teaching methodology to Feng Tai First. While this school is very successful (the strongest in its district) they are very transparent about wanting to learn our teaching methods. In particular, those related to active student engagement which is a focus in Jension. Keeping this in mind we spent the first day each teaching one active engagement strategy. We've structured the camp into rotations so that there are small groups of students who rotate through each teacher/class every day. By each teaching one engagement strategy we set up our students to have all four strategies in use by the end the first day. We also completed a short subject-specific activity that used student engagement and introduced students to our subject area.

As we continued to work on our engagement strategies and lessons we realized that the concept of students giving feedback to their teachers was very foreign; this is something each of us would consider a necessity of strong teaching.

During the afternoon we took a field trip to the Natural History Museum. Students really have warmed to us by this time, and were incredibly eager to have this opportunity to spend time with us and practice conversational skills. While at the museum there was a mother who approached us and asked what camp the students were a part of because she wanted to send her child next summer to learn from American teachers. This really impressed upon us what an opportunity this partnership is. The parents and students deeply value the language and methodology we bring with us, and we are honored to share them.

This morning a student brought his English journal to share with us. He is ten years old and will be entering fifth grade. This is his description of the first two days of camp. "Today I am going to the summer camp. When we sing our school song the teacher coming. They stay out of our music class. I want to run out and talking with them. I went to school and having class afternoon. We go to the museum. I'm say a lot to teachers. I'm happy and happy!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th July 2012

.....
Love reading about your adventures! Sounds like you are having a great time!
26th July 2012

How exciting! I love seeing all of you in the pictures! So glad the kids are seeing that their input is important in learning!! Enjoy :) A group on H.S. teachers and Bauerwood teachers have also been together this week, and are just finishing a class at Kentwood H.S. We've had a great week learning about bullying, defiant behavior, and motivating students to read, especially through vocabulary! All of our groups will be ready to light the kids on fire this year!! Not literally!! Keep up the great work in your corner of the world! :) Carey
29th July 2012

So Exciting!
Hi Friends! What an amazing adventure for you and the kids! It's such a blessing to educate internationally and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. So happy for all of you!!! :) Diane

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb