A Tuk Tuk Ride


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
July 30th 2011
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia SnapshotCambodia SnapshotCambodia Snapshot

More snapshots of the Cambodian Countryside as we travel by bus between cities
Geo: 12.25, 104.667

I woke up about 6am in our Phnom Penh hotel room, exhausted, staring at the roof. What I wouldnt do for an extra couple hours sleep. We had to bounce up, pack our things and head off early on our way to Khampong Chang about 3 hours away.
The journey would take another 3 hours, via public bus. Sleep on the bus was not an option, due to a bumpy ride and an excessively loud, brutal horn, which the driver hooted with great frequency.
At the half way point, we stopped for a break at a place called 'Spiderville' named so elloquently for the delicacy sold here: Deep fried Spiders... they looked even worse than you could imagine. I'll upload photos at the next oppertunity. They were crawling with flies, looked old, and were accompanied by deep fried cockroaches. Tasty..
From here, we headed on to our destination.
This town wasnt particularly impressive. A bit dirty, barron, not a tourist location, and more... fragrant than usual.
Our activity of the day was a Tuk Tuk drive. The first destination was Nokor Wat, a buddhist temple initially constructed in the 12th century. It has since been renovated and the interior was built in 1920. At times, the lack of reverence and respect shown by the locals at these places surprises me. Much of this was built some 900 years ago, and im not sure the ancestors of the locals would have appreciated people lying around, smoking and laughing as their cats ran accross old statues. Furthermore, old paintings, statues, are now coated in $$$ figures of donations. Culture smeared with the stench of currency seems to trivialise it all for me..?
From here, we went for a drive through farming fields, to see the lifestyle and activities of the local farmers. 80% of Cambodias population are farmers. We then ventured to the hillside to visit the 'man and woman'mountain temples, reflective of old mythology. We're now off to dinner! Tomorrow, the adventure to Siem Riap beckons. We will stay there for 3 nights, and have the oppertunity to see the renowned Ankor Wat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Local Delicacy..Local Delicacy..
Local Delicacy..

Yes, they're tarantulas.. Black, clumped together, huge, old looking.. flies swarming about... tasty.
Fried CricketsFried Crickets
Fried Crickets

Just in case tarantulas didnt wet your appetite
Cambodian ShowerCambodian Shower
Cambodian Shower

Electric and Tempremental
Local Hotel ResidentLocal Hotel Resident
Local Hotel Resident

A large Praying Mantis
Tuk Tuk RideTuk Tuk Ride
Tuk Tuk Ride

Steve, Harriet and Matt
Tuk TukTuk Tuk
Tuk Tuk

The Girls Carriage
Wat NokorWat Nokor
Wat Nokor

Sun trying to break through the clouds.
Modern InteriorModern Interior
Modern Interior

This temple was built in the 11th Century. An inner shell, a modern interior has been built in approx 1920. I found it sad that many of these temples have $$ signs all over their paintings. A testiment to donations...


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb