Floating Village


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
February 4th 2012
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.25, 104.667

Our last stop in Cambodia included the floating fishing villages near Kampong Chhnang located on the edge of Tonle Sap Lake. And how do you visit a floating village- via a boat, preferably one that is floating as well. The villages were more complete versions of what we had seen on the way to Battambang and included markets, shops, gas stations, and restaurants. It was amazing to see such a large community attach itself so inextricably to the ebbs and flows of the constantly changing Lake. The hardships and vulnerability for the residents are self evident and as we floated in and out of the various channels and bays, you couldn't help but think that life was never meant to be this difficult. In addition to living in only the most basic of accommodations and dealing with the changing moods and levels of the lake, the residents are now forced to cope with the challenges of pollution and widespread illegal fish harvesting. I can't imagine anyone from our pillow-soft North American society being able to cope with the lifestyle that these Cambodians seem to embrace. Our floating visit was met by waves, cheers, and smiles- cooking, fishing, cleaning, and even card games were interrupted to ensure that we knew we were welcomed.

It was probably a fitting way to end our trip to Cambodia. Cambodia is poor by any standards we deem important. It has also been through horrific recent wars, and endured the brutal regime of Pol Pot. And yet through it all, the Khmer people were the big WOW of our stay in Cambodia. Kind, gentle, and hospitable- I suspect we'll be back very soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



12th February 2012

I shudder to think what would be it that water if you fell in!
12th February 2012

....a far cry from Venice, Italy that's for sure :D
12th February 2012

......for what ?
12th February 2012

Culturally, I guess they are like Roated Chestnuts at Christmas! Ewwww
12th February 2012

From a distance at least, the red-roofed house looks like a castle when compared to the neighbors. There's probably an interesting story behind that structure.
12th February 2012

What !! No Jet Skiis ? LOL...
12th February 2012

And yet it seems so very peaceful!
13th February 2012

A condo! LOL
20th February 2012

One world.Thousands of standards of living.
20th February 2012

DH... I'd give my eye teeth to squat like that again !!Why is it when you can't....it become everything you want. LOLAh, the good old days when the knees could handle everything and anything. Now a days, it's just somethings.
20th February 2012

Can you explain to me what is with the colour blue? I've noticed over the course of several journeys and several pictures that blue is a constant. Is blue everyone's colour of choice or are the items only sold in the colour blue?
20th February 2012

Well, I am most impressed with the neatness and organization of 'laundry day'Kind of looked more like 'sale day'

Tot: 0.502s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb