Washed out of town!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
October 12th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well!

We left Bangkok at 6.30am about a week ago and arrived at Siem Reap around dinner time the same day. It doesn't sound to bad now but on the coach to the Cambodia border we were given a sticker and then swiftly had it taken off us because they will 'remember our faces' at this stage alarm bells should have been ringing but it was very early in the morning... We got to the border and basically were stranded in the middle of nowhere! It took a lot of arguing but eventually we got over the border and 3 hours later were in town.

As we arrived at our chosen hotel, we noticed that the nearby river had flooded slightly and children were playing in the paddling pool that was previously the adjacent road. The water could only have been a couple of inches deep and we didn't think much of it. When we woke up the next morning however the whole town was preparing for flooding, people were putting walls of sandbags everywhere and everyone was a bit manic. by the following day the entire town was under a foot of water and our hotel was close to the worst of the flooding! After a day of paddling around in Murky Mekong water, and hoping we wouldn't get Cholera, we decided the best place to escape the water was the seaside and booked onto the night coach to get us out of there before it got anywhere worse.

That's how we ended up at Sihanoukville now. It took us nearly 20 hours to get here on a series of coaches but in our first day we have managed to burn ourselves by lounging on the beach too long and eat a LOT of seafood! (Oh and lose my phone/IPOD... Great)

We've got a TV in the room with BBC world service on it, and looking at the rest of Asia I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more flooding before the trip is done. But we are well and at the moment dry!

Love you all,

Next stop, lots of aftersun, a full moon beach party, and then Phnom Penh...

Speak to you soon

Adam and Emma

P.s. Pictures to follow when we have better internet

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb