After Just over a Week in Cambodia...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
August 9th 2010
Published: August 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After just over a week in Cambodia the weather has finally settled into a tropical routine - sunny and sultry mornings warming up to a cruisy 35 degrees with humidity over 90%. Storm clouds gather and hulk en masse, to pour down great fat randrops in several squalls in the mid-afternoon. Yesterday (Sunday) we had a run through PP in the RDI van with Lori at the wheel - Cambodian traffic has to be seen to be believed. Not only the volume and indiscriminate directions taken, but the ever changing scenery that passes on the sides of the road. We were off to the Airport to farewell Kristen (not Kirsten), one of the volunteers who is flying home to the States via India. We inherited Kristen's cat (see photo attached - at least if I get the upload correct). She spent Saturday night washing her hair six times - that the result of having applied flea and tick rinse to her hair, 'just in case', and then determining that she smelt like a dog!

Today we finally escaped the confines of the RDI bungalows! They're converted shipping containers, decked out with bunk beds,a central bathroom and ~2 square metres of floorspace. Cramped, smelly, hot and expensive. At least though they gave us a an appreciation of the quality of anything else on offer. As it is, we'e landed on our feet. A brand new house (power only connected this morning (Monday 09th August) with large living areas, three bedrooms and two bathrooms. the cat (Kristen had called it Little One) is settling in slowly - every time we came back to the house the poor thing was meowing severely. The style is typical Cambodian - large floor tiles throughout (makes cleaning a breeze), with rendered brick walls. he big change we've noticed is the absence of squat toilets, something Kisten and I are extremely grateful of.

Badly in need of a haircut, I bravely reconnoitered the local village, seeking out a barber. I found one who gave me a great haircut and a shave, including removing ear and nose hair (I know, too much information), all for 2,000 riel (that's close enough to 50 cents Aussie) - amazing. After, he took me next door to show me his house (overlooking the river) and to meet his Dad. All the locals are just so social :-).

Kirsten continues to suffer from a head cold. Sneezing, feverish and plain miserable, she still soldiers on. Making great progress in her Sampling Plan. We're gearing up to commence the first and major set of field work next week - exciting!!

Ciao until next time.

Love & light,

John and Kirsten xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Our new little kittyOur new little kitty
Our new little kitty

She is very whiny


10th August 2010

looks good guys, love the low maintenance front yard !, you guys look right at home. take care xx
12th August 2010

Love your house!!!
Thanks for all the photos. I love the house. It will look great with furniture. Reminds me of Patty's house in Bangkok. Seems you are settling in really well. Sorry you have a bad cold, probably caused by a bit of stress at moving etc. Will you be employing a housegirl?? Much to hot to be doing housework!! Sarah is still here, doing her assignments on line which is good. It's cold and windy her today, I would rather be in the heat where you are. Your father flies to Adelaide on Sat and then doing a trip to Lake Ayre.
14th August 2010

hi from the woodies
A new house AND a new kitty. Aren't you the lucky couple :-) Glad all is going well for you both. Thinking of you.
18th August 2010

Hi
Hi guys. Just checked out your blog for the first time. Looks like your settling in. Great you have your own place - I'm sure it won't take long to make it home. Bet your missing the kids. Alls good here. Cold, typical August winds. bring on Spring I say - looking forward to getting into the garden now the days are getting longer. Study going well. Got some good exam results that I'm happy about. Only 2 terms to go!!! Yeah! Have got some new clients too so things are slowly coming together. Take care guys. Great to follow your travels and the photos are teriffic. Love Annie

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb