Angkor Wat (Two visits)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
November 6th 2021
Published: November 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Angkor Wat – built by Suryavarman II (r 1112–52).

The temple is the heart and soul of Cambodia and a source of fierce national pride. Unlike the other Angkor monuments, it was never abandoned to the elements and has been in virtually continuous use since it was built.

The sandstone blocks from which Angkor Wat was built were quarried from the holy mountain of Phnom Kulen, more than 50km away, and floated down the Siem Reap River on rafts. The logistics of such an operation are mind-blowing, according to inscriptions, the construction of Angkor Wat involved 300,000 workers and 6000 elephants.

The stairs to the upper level are immensely steep, because reaching the kingdom of the gods was no easy task.

Sam took us to level two with so many beautiful carvings. It wasn’t a spectacular sunrise this morning but with so many interesting facts about the temple that made up for it. It was my first tour with Sam and I’m sure I will return.

A return trip a week later, still amazing to see over & over again.



https://www.heygo.com/sam-journey-cambodia


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement














Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb