A little bit of paradise..


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
March 11th 2016
Published: March 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The afternoon and the day's last boat is at 3. It's 2.35, I'm still on the bus from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukhville, bugger. I mean sure, I can just join them in the morning.. but..

Off the bus (first, and determinedly I go in and get big bag from the under bit!) and here a motorbike taxi to be met, onward to the port, and he knows - we got to grab a ticket on the way and make the boat.. He was my hero.



Ah it was such a thrill, walking up onto the boat, made it.

Zooming over the blue water, to Koh Rong Samloem ahead; a quiet, forested neighbour of the more built up Koh Rong. The island doesn't have WiFi, I didn't know if Roo and Bene would be about, the plan was to meet at one of the guesthouses or bump along the sands, leaving notes for one another!



So a bigger thrill of the day, one of the loveliest moments of my travels..

Walking along the wooden pier, between other arrivers, the gorgeous trees along the white sand, the soft lapping water, my head fuzzy and wandering which way to head.. And- There they bloody are!!

Running toward me, we fall into a huge hug, happy and possibly a little squealing. They'd planned to stand to one side and surprise me, but on seeing me they just ran over. Roo, Bene and Bastian.. swimwear and smiles. So lucky to be here, and suddenly those talks of maybe meeting on an island a couple of weeks after teaching were vividly alive, sunned upon, illuminated and felt in smiles; a nice surreality.



Here we stayed at eco sea dive, a lovely wooden beach dorm, hammocked common areas, swings, a local restaurant.



In minutes, bag in dorm, bikini on, in the water with these 3, beers on the beach.

I'd had this nice thought, imagine if we'd meet in time for sunset.. and here we were, easing beautifully into a water sunset.



From where we were on the island it was a nice walk to the village, wooden shops and cute places to eat or get a shake. The walk through stunning beach forest, maybe through the water for stretches, dark trees and their twig bits, black shells on white sand, shining water rocks; past a small shrine with 2 jagged rocks, and over a little bridge.

One of my favourite walks this way was a night time venture with Bastian, to get more whiskey for the gang back at the beach. Just a torch light, bare feet, strolling and chatting, and back - with few cuts but whiskey and snacks - hoorah.



This was also a night that we'd experience the incredible fluorescent plankton. By day the sea perfectly clear, sand rolled under feet, a few clear schools of fish. By night, under midnight moon, walking forward in the water would push out around you a circle of lights.. flick a hand and a superpower web of light flashed ahead. We ran, circled, laughed, settled in and paddled feet sitting in the water. Beautiful. Literally sparkling. And back on the beach for the fire we made.



Ghecko watching. Swings. Reads. Swims. Wanders. Little highs. Tree climbs. Dinners. Cards. Sunsets on the pier. Beers. Friendly dogs coming to sit by us. Our favourite knowing our evening spot, well he grew on us, initially he was talked of as a cross between Donnie Dario and a creepy Gizmo.



The walk away village was delightful; lovely people, playing kids, shell covered walls, big red ice boxes, delicious mangoes, small wooden boats. A small girl walking back and forth to a shake stall, each time venturing back off in another item of clothing - a big hat, a long shawl, and returning with a big shake for someone. An older man sat on a table near us, meditating a long while. And then starting on a beer.



One day Roo and I chatted with a local guy and took a boat out and back to our pier. We sussed it could help our poorly. Beautiful, heading toward the whale shaped forested island, water flicking us, we then had a snorkel - huge urchins, fish, crevices, rocks, shells.. Up for air in the blue sky and the sea now stretching ahead. A great idea 😊





It was all so beautiful. Good friends with big hearts. Rolling through our days with shared smiles, refreshing chats, a beautiful vibe.

A ukelele could be heard in the background, in the common areas and about swings and hammocks - no phones, but books and writing. Calm. Honest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb