Beach times in South Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 25th 2011
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As we spend longer and longer on buses, the blog entries are coming thick and fast! We're in the middle of a 10 hour trek to Vietnam so I've taken the opportunity to write about our final stop in Cambodia.

After all the sightseeing in Phnom Penh we decided to take a quick beach break in south Cambodia. The town is called Sihanoukville and is a 4 hour bus ride from the capital. There's a main tourist hub of the town, with a selection of beaches and resorts nearby, however we tried to go one better. We'd read a few blogs before we set off and heard about a place much further down the coast which is a bit of a hidden gem, called Otres Beach.

It was a mission to get there, with the tuk tuk driver taking us down a long, bone rattling, dirt road. Along the way we pass nothing but fields, the odd metal shack (house) and a few malnurished cow. After 5 minutes of being thrown around the vehicle we're beginning to get worried, until we turn a corner and arrive at a long stretch of white sand and clear blue water.

This is the closest we are going to get to an 'untouched paradise' on our trip (it's not even in the guidebook). I guess because the roads are so bad, a lot of people don''t make the journey here. This means we get to share paradise with only a handful of other travellers, which is great. I'm sure in 5 years time it will look very different, but for now it's got a real unspoilt feel to it.

We find cheap and cheerful bungalow, just meters from the sea and spend the 3 days unwinding, by sunbathing and eating good food.

There are a few bars dotted along the beach and they all play really good music, everything from Joy Division to Johnny Cash. After enduring Justin Bieber and the Black Eyed Peas all around the world, it's a welcome change - maybe the Cambodians have been reading NME?!

Not much else to tell really...I'll make sure the next instalment is much more action packed!

Ali and Clio x



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb