Squeaky sand in Sihanoukville


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
March 18th 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sihanoukville is little changed from our last visit, although this time we are up at the more expensive end of town. The town still doesn´t seem to be very busy and the majority of people that we´ve met are either Irish or Canadian. Really haven´t done anything but swim at the beach or pool. We wait each afternoon for the massage lady to arrive (1hr = 6USD) and then dinner each night is barbequed king prawns, salad and chips (3USD), its a hard life!

Random conversation in cafe
¨Where you come from?¨
¨New Zealand¨
Looooong pause
¨That near Switzerland?¨
¨No, it is near Australia¨
Another pause
¨I know other old people from Switzerland, so think you must belong there too¨

Not too many answers for that.

The Beach Road Hotel is owned (managed?) by Estonians and there were a number of their friends present, 2 of whom were spraying graffiti art representations of various world symbols on the walls around the pool. Had intended to get some photos of them but forgot. Had our photos taken by a Estonian photographer - ¨You are good to study in black and white¨. Look out for our photos coming soon in the Eastern European copy of Pensioners frolic in the pool.

Big push here to try and remove local children from the beach, all children in this area are now entitled to free education - to make the best of this tourists are being encouraged to not buy from them or give them money, food, bottles etc. This applies also to adults that take children begging with them. Certainly most days there were much fewer children about on the beach and indeed there seemed to be a lot fewer beggars in total.

Decided that we need to move on and have purchased an ¨All inclusive ticket Sihanoukville to Khao San Rd (11 hours)¨.
To quote a recent Cambodia Travelblog
*cue ominous music*

Did we get there?
How long did it take?
Where did we end up?
Did we keep our cool?
Did we end up in the cooler after losing our cool?
Will we ever do it again?

All will be revealed in the next blog



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



22nd March 2010

=)
Sounds like another wonderful adventure!! Am enjoying the updates... Am in Yabuli right now... UNBELIEVABLE! Leaving a day earlier as snow may create problems for highway... Speak soon.. Love u! xxx
4th March 2012

Sihanoukville beaches
Good to see there are less children begging and selling on the beach! I'm glad they are promoting education since this kind of activity puts children at risk.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb