Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 12th 2017
Published: August 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Buses, buses, buses - getting sick of them now! We are on the road to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. I made a friend at our last hotel, but I had a last minute cuddle... I do love a cat!



We stopped for a toilet stop on the way at a place famous for its deep fried tarantulas. There was stall after stall of deep fried insects: silk worms, crickets, beetles and tarantulas. Harry bought some silk worms for us to try, they were OK and mainly tasted of garlic and salt, but I don't think I will be rushing back for more!



We stopped again for lunch (this is our longest journey) at a lovely restaurant on stilts overlooking a pond. The food, as usual, was delicious.



We finally reached Phnom Penh at about 3:00. Harry had booked a cyclo tour of the city so we could see the main sights. A cyclo is a strange contraption, it is like a bicycle with a wheelbarrow or deckchair attached to the front, so we sat in the front while some poor guy had to peddle. It was a little scary at times, as the traffic is crazy anyway and we were thrust straight into the oncoming traffic. However we all survived and it was an amazing way to see the city. It has a really lovely feel to it and has a lot going for it - I think I'm going to like it!



After a little chill time, we all met up again and Harry took us to a great rooftop bar at the Sun and Moon hotel. There were fabulous views of the city and we watched the sunset over the place where the 4 rivers meet. It was lovely to see the contrasting views of new, modern hotel versus the corrugated roofs of a traditional market. I had a Kir Royal, as it seemed the right type of place. It was delicious and so was the Mai Tai. For dinner I had a massaman curry.... It was stunning! I will miss the food and cocktails here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb