Phnom Penh, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 24th 2017
Published: February 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I finally figured out why we are always waking up so early and heading out to visit temples or palaces. It is so cool in the mornings and our guide does not want us overheating so he schedules outdoor activities during the morning and tries to schedule museums or indoor activities in the afternoon. I am very grateful for that as it is so hot here. It actually is only in the mid 90's but with high humidity and no wind it is HOT!

Our first stop this morning was the Royal Palace in Cambodia. The architecture of this Palace was definitely the prettiest I have seen so far on this trip. The buildings were just so beautiful I could not stop taking pictures. I may have posted too many of the palace but I was just so impressed by the architecture.

After visiting the palace we headed outside of town to one of the killing fields of Cambodia. This was very emotional and disturbing. On the ride there we learned all about the killing fields and I will not go into detail here, but if you want to know about them I would suggest watching the movie "The Killing Fields." I only took one picture at the Field as it just did not seem right to take photos of the fields as there is still clothes coming out of the ground as well as bones. It was definitely an emotional experience.

Heading back into town we went to a nice restaurant in Phnom Penh and this time the food was a little different as we were served spring rolls and for dessert we had bananas and pineapple in syrup. Delicious!

Half the group headed off to the Genocide museum and the rest of us went back to the hotel. After visiting the Killing Fields I was not up for the museum. Back at the hotel Drury took a nap and I walked around the town a little.

We met up with some people for our group at a famous restaurant in Phnom Penh called the FCC. This is where all of the foreign reporters apparently go eat and have drinks by the river. I had one of the best steaks I have ever had here. It had a red wine sauce that was absolutely incredible.

We went back to the hotel early as tomorrow we have to be ready and in the lobby at 7:00am for our early flight to Siem Reap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Elephant HouseElephant House
Elephant House

This building was built so that the king could walk up the stairs and go on the balcony on the right that had no railings and just climb ride on an elephant
Large Pagoda Large Pagoda
Large Pagoda

These were built to resemble mountains


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb