The King is Dead


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
November 7th 2014
Published: November 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Even though I have the luxury of air, owing to the fact I’m quite a bit taller than most of those around me, it still feels crushingly claustrophobic as I surge and sway with the motion of the crowd. Over to the left a dozen or so people break through the barrier and make a run for it. Neither the police nor soldiers holding the line seek to chase them, deciding instead to hold their positions a... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kiva and MamaKiva and Mama
Kiva and Mama

Riding the tuk-tuk
Photo worthyPhoto worthy
Photo worthy

...I asked if I could take his picture. He said no.
A week of mourningA week of mourning
A week of mourning

Royal Palace Park
MournersMourners
Mourners

Royal Palace Park
MournersMourners
Mourners

Royal Palace Park
MournersMourners
Mourners

Royal Palace Park
MournersMourners
Mourners

Royal Palace Park
MournersMourners
Mourners

Royal Palace Park



7th November 2014

What an amazing experience!
Having a front row seat to seeing history unfold. What a memory to cherish. :)
7th November 2014

What an amazing experience!
It really was quite amazing...even when I think back on it now. The sense of history seemed to be shared by everyone present. For the majority present their lives had forever been tied to this King, and the feeling that page was turning on a new chapter in their history was palpable, even for a tourist like me!
7th November 2014

Tibet ... with Pimms
Reading thru had me grinning thinking of crossing Tibetan police checkpoints (and the odd sprint away) .. top effort! ... and then the Pimms in sand at the end. quality ;)
7th November 2014

Tibet ... with Pimms
Got me! If I ain't dodging checkpoints I ain't alive! The Pimms is a new addition to the repertoire, picked up at the behest of an ex-travel partner!
7th November 2014
Mandalay

Most importantly, I wanted to say that Mandalay looks so adorable in this rash guard! Second to that, what a fascinating ceremony to experience! Cambodia seems to be one of those countries where today and yesterday have converged so quickly that time seems to rush forward and stand-still in a paradoxical reality. Very curious to see how close you will get to finding "the" Beach...
8th November 2014
Mandalay

Paradoxical reality
We convince ourselves we are able to physically visit the past but it is of course always today. Perhaps this realization is what makes funerals such powerful experiences, forcing us to confront the inevitability of time, change and the impermanence of it all. The death of the king closes the door on one of the most momentous periods in Cambodia's history and for those attending, a period encompassing their entire lives.
7th November 2014

Excellent moves 007...and a front seat to all the action
I'm always in awe at how effortlessly you travel with the two little ones, who by the way are adorable, and growing fast. Top marks.
8th November 2014

Excellent moves 007...
Travelling with kids is never effortless. Just ask 007...Oh wait!
7th November 2014

Nitpicking
Let me preface my nitpicking by complimenting your writing, and your ability to sneak past checkpoints, but it is yin and yang not ying and yang ("Koh Kong was an excellent respite to finish our stay in Cambodia - the ying for all that yang"). For some reason that bothers me, and it was probably just a typo. Keep up the good work and keep travelling.
8th November 2014

Nitpicking
Does the monkey pick the nits because they bother him, or is it an act of compassion? Actually, I think he eats them! Thanks for spotting it. I'll pluck it out forthwith. Hopefully we got them all this time!
8th November 2014

Nitpicking
Does the monkey pick the nits because they bother him, or is it an act of compassion? Actually, I think he eats them! Thanks for spotting it. I'll pluck it out forthwith. Hopefully we got them all this time!
8th November 2014

Dodging those barriers...
Love the foreigner = journalist chance taking. We do things like that all the time! Brilliant that you got a front row spec to witness history. The resort on Koh kong sounds interesting, last time we went to Cambodia the island wasn't open...now there's a nice resort there, it's a much better bet than Sodom-on-Sea as you call it ;)
9th November 2014

Sodom-on-Sea
Never been myself, but from what I've heard it could well be more interesting than Koh Kong! Anyways, if you are heading back to Cambodia keep your ear to the ground because there are other spots on Koh Kong, and other islands besides, which could open up...even if you have to dodge a few barriers to get there!
8th November 2014

Respect
Top spot at the King's funeral, hacking your way through the Darien Gap, sneaking into the Nuba Mountains, is there anything left to do? Great story, nice to see how the kids are growing up. A few more years and there will be a couple more little aspiringnomads wandering the world and making their way into hard to get places.
9th November 2014

Anything left to do?
Anything left to do? - Hopefully there are a few more stops on life's journey. As for the little aspiringnomads, history suggests today's popular destinations may well be tomorrow's hard to get places (and vice versa).
9th November 2014

Seize the moment
Jumping barriers is all in a days work when an opportunity presents itself. If you can't be good be lucky...always good to find yourself in a situation when history unfolds. Very cool. Glad you gave the beaches a go for the kids.
9th November 2014

If you can't be good be lucky
Fortune favours the brave! When not jumping barriers we generally cater our trips around the well-being of the kids. For example, in Cambodia all the hotels we stayed at had pools and we used private taxi (at not much greater cost to be honest) between all our destinations. We'd likely have done none of those things had we been travelling before we'd had kids. However, we likely still would have hit the beach. So that was a win win!
9th November 2014

The King-Father of Cambodia
Not surprised. You strike me as a barriers-jumping kinda guy Jason. Always nice to be present as history unfolds. The passing of an interesting man indeed.
10th November 2014

A barriers-jumping kinda guy
I try to sit on the fence, David...but I keep falling off.
20th November 2014

Inspiring travel tourist!
i was amazed the way you wrote about different places and inspired to do the same. good luck on your next travel and waiting myself to read.

Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 58; qc: 177; dbt: 0.231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb