Smithy and Jones - First day in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 14th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Surprisingly, the night bus ride went swimmingly. No issues at customs, not a lot of waiting around or even that many people entering Cambodia at the same time as our bus.

As we got dropped off in Phnom Penh, all I saw were many cambodian men rushing towards the bus with laminated card in their hands, all trying to ask you if you wanted a tuk tuk or if you had accommodation etc. Hannah was wearing a Bob Marley t-shirt on and attracted a young, cool looking, curly haired, cap wearing Cambodian guy. His name was Bombastic. He had a speaker system in his tuk tuk for customers to attach their phones to. He was just a fun, hip guy. Bombastic took us to a cheap but cheerful guesthouse and said that if we want to go anywhere, he can be the one to take us.

Hannah and I decided to go out exploring by foot for the rest of the day. We found a strip of small restaurants along the river and had lunch (red curry was delicious) and here it all started. The children.

The cutest of kids would approach us with coat hangers of bracelets, some with reading books and try to sell their goods. Myself and Hannah especially are suckers for cuties and ended up with at least 3 of these bracelets. To say these kids are out on the street working their little selling butts off at about the age of 7 was just a crazy but true fact. 'Three for one dollar' we would hear.

We came across this cute little mohican haired boy just playing in a heap of sand at the end of one road, smiles and all. The children, even though wanting to sell their goods, were very good at interaction. They would say hello to you and wave at you and were very good at English.

Hannah and I decided to go to the Grand Palace, where we wandered around the gardens and the places of worship. Unfortunately, we missed out a section of the grounds due to closing time. Still finding our way around, we came across a big bunch of local people doing aerobics out in a public area. I may have done a few steps. We saw the friendship monument between the Cambodians and Vietnamese and later we went for a blind massage. This, just to let you know is a massage given by the blind. We ate some street food and took a nice stroll back to our guesthouse.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb