Genocide Museum and The Killing Fields


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 20th 2013
Published: July 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our visits today were to the Genocide Museum and The killing Fields. The Genocide Museum was a short drive from our hotel and was once a school. Under the rule of Pol Pot many atrocities were carried out against the Cambodian people, many who were held in this place were educated people who were accused of crimes against the country, however, it was later proved that this was not the case. People were held in rooms which had been sub divided into small areas of about six feet by three feet. Other were held in larger rooms and had their legs placed in a metal bar so that they could not move, they were given a metal tin to use for bodily functions, this was left in the room. After being tortured their captors took photographs of them in a very sorry state. Outside a wooden gallows that was used originally in the school for excercise was used to tie people to their feet would be tied to the main beam and they would hang from there until they passed out. When they were unconscious they would be lowered into a bucket of filthy water until they regained consciousness, then the whole sorry business would begin again. Barbed wire prevented the prisoners from committing suicide from the balconies. Men women and children were brought here and tortured.

After this we visited the Killing Fields which are to the south of the city of Phnom Phen, these were only discovered after the rainy season when the water had washed away some of the soil and skulls teeth and other bones started to appear on the surface. Several sites were excavated and thousands of skull, bones, teeth and clothing were found. Most of the skulls were found to be damaged in some way, either cracked or with bullet holes. It is reported there that babies were battered in front of their mothers and finally killed and the Mothers were made to watch these atrocities. They played loud music to drown the sound of the people wailing and shouting in desperation. It is hard to believe that one human can commit such atrocities against a fellow human being and these atrocities were carried out by their own countrymen which makes it even worse.

There was a feeling of stillness there but not one of peace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th July 2013

A somber visit
We've been to these sites and it is amazing mans inhumanity to man. Love to see you post some photos.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb