Running the Mekong thought and thanks


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We chose to come back to Cambodia and run 500km along the Mekong River in order to brings attention to this major waterway and its life sustaining force and also to relive some of the magic of Cambodia, its people, culture and diverse geography that so touched us on our first run. There was no way for us to know what was in store but now that our run is complete, a total of 460km run, we have seen and experienced a part of Cambodia that is very special. The run was epic in its scenery, taught us more about managing sports hydration needs, challenged us with a scorpion sting, a dog bite, a few running induced strains and pain (11 marathons in 11 days will be conducive to such) and filled us with the laughter and smiles of the Cambodian people which we will carry in our mind's eye forever.

The river itself provides food for the people of the area but they provide the life. We were able to do many home stays on this trip and we were lucky to have many open their homes and share their daily life in such a cordial, intimate and welcoming way.

We have met so many people who offered us everything they had, even when it was just a piece of shade from the noon day sun, squeezing in a bit tighter so that we could fit eight on a platform that barely held six. We've been fed, given water, laughed with and good naturedly laughed at, really who would attempt such a silly feat, over the course of an 11 day journey, all there was really left to do was to laugh right along with them.

To all of those we've met along the way, thank you. You have given us more than we could ever repay. We are amazed by your spirit, your kindness , and your will to do what ever you must. Hopefully some day we will be fortunate enough to come back again and do what ever else we can to help.

There are some special people we'd like to thank, for without them this adventure would not have been possible. Paul Hurford and Bunna (who also drove with us for the entire trip) from Australian Firefighters International. Your route choice was amazing and exactly what we'd hoped for (and more)! Mombo, also with AFIRE, you spent every single day in the sun on your moto, following us and keeping us safe, not to mention cooking the most amazing meals. We'd like to thank the Trailblazer Foundation whose work here in Cambodia we have supported for two years now and will continue to do so when ever we can. You are bringing clean drinking water and more to the many rural areas, we wish you many more years of success! The Eureka Villa and their staff who so splendidly care for our needs and serve as a home base here in Phnom Penh, thank you.

We'd like to thank the Phnom Penh Post. The paper has supported us since we first approached them and that has been crucial to our efforts in present and future fund raising endeavors.

To the home team back in Canada, I2P (Ray Zahab, his amazing wife Kathy Adams, and their wonderful daughter) Bob Cox and Doc Duane Smith who helped us prepare and mended us along the way. To our amazing children, we know this is tough on you, your support means the world to us and we are very proud of who you are growing up to be...

Finally and most importantly, we'd like to thank you. You are the one's who've supported our dream, you are the one's who donated to our cause and have brought life to the Cambodian people, you are the one's who've followed along, who shook your heads, laughed with us and even at us (we deserved it!)

For all of this, we are grateful and very, very thankful!

Nathalie and Jeff
One Filter One Family
www.onefilteronefamily.com

Advertisement



22nd January 2011

Congrat on successful completing your run - great job!!!! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences along the way, we enjoyed the updates and photos! Can't wait to see you guys and hear more when you get back! Hugs and safe travels home. Kathy, Ray and Mia
24th January 2011

Congrats!!!!!
It's such a wonderful accomplishment what you have both done!!!!! You both should be extremely proud of yourselves. Take care and be safe.
24th January 2011

the nephew not the JD that went running.
You guys are inspirational, if there were more people like you two we would all be alcoholic workout enthusiasts and the world would be a better place. Keep doing what you're doing and I want a T shirt. ;-)

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb