Medical emergency in Phnom Pehn...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 10th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

...well, emergency might be pushing it! No-one will be suprised to learn that jess has been limping around for the past week after an unfortunate tumble in nha-trang (that occurred when she was completely sober of course). Her knee has refused to heal, and she has consistently refused to go and get any help, so today hannah marched her to the pharmacy, where they recommended iodine. She then learnt that iodine stings ALOT when you put it in an open wound! Han kindly gave her a t-shirt to bite - and then laughed and took pictures.

Today (before this medical drama) we went to the market in the morning to get some cheap breakfast, and then we went to visit the killing fields and the tonle sap genocidal museum (also known as the s21 prison) , Khmer Rouge prisoners were held at this former high school turned prison before being taken to the killing fields to be executed. Once again, it was a very hard thing to see, but good to learn about the country's history. Neither of us can believe how recently this happened, and as we walk down the street we can't stop thinking that everyone we see over 30 will have lived through this terrible time. At the memorial stupa at the killing fields (where all the bones and skulls exhumed from the mass graves have been preserved according to Buddhist beliefs) we both wanted to pay our respects so (for the first time in a very long time for jess, and hannah in accordance with her catholic beliefs!) we lit some incense, placed a flower and said a prayer. I think it is safe to say it was an experience neither of us will ever forget.

Because we did both these things today, which we were going to split into 2 days, we will be on the move again tomorrow to Shianoukville (which is only a 4 hour bus journey!! amazing!)

Love to everyone x

p.s Hannah would like to say happy birthday to her grandma for tomorrow. And Matthew for the 13th. Jess would like to say happy birthday to her uncle phil for the 13th aswell
We would both like to say happy 20th birthdays to Emma, Milly and Nikole for the next few days! Hope you all have wonderful days and drunken nights!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb