Cambodians are so Horny


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 12th 2007
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post



The next stop on our trip is Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. We hopped onto one of the local buses (US$3.50) for the 6 hour journey. We were right at the front of the bus and had a great view :-) Why are Cambodians so horny you may ask? Well, we first noticed this whilst being at the front of the bus watching the driver honk every time he overtook something, letting them know he was coming I imagine. On a country road this is fine, a good idea even, but when in a city environment that equals a lot of honks from a lot of people! Our room is positioned on a busy crossroads, great for watching the hectic goings on from the safety of our balcony but absolute hell from 6 a.m. when the morning traffic begins! It is great fun watching people try to cross the road - you take your life in your hands just trying to get across!!! If it wasn't for Chad I'd probably get run over

Getting back to the bus trip, on one of the breaks we had we pulled into a little place selling all sorts of local food. The favorite purchase on our bus was fried crickets! I’ve been on many trips where the person sitting next to me is eating all types of smelly food but the fried crickets certainly get the no.1 prize :-) Wherever I looked people were munching into their snack. Chad said he is going to try some, I think I’ll give it a miss.



We are staying at Bright Lotus 1 ($US18 a/c, tv, fridge) which is opposite the National Museum and one road back from the riverfront. The place is really clean and has the cutest little dog called Pinky (King Spaniel) guarding the reception.



People live wherever they can here. There is a family living in a public toilet opposite us and also live in tiny little boats on the river. There are also people living on the streets. There are so many skinny children running around with next to nothing on begging, which is heartbreaking. You can usually see their parents sitting somewhere watching the kids and telling them to go and ask you for money! There are a few charities up and running which are helping the local children such as Child Safe and Friends. Friends is a Cambodian version of Jamie Oliver’s 15. It is a fantastic restaurant serving cheap but amazing food and employs and looks after youngsters learning the restaurant trade. Child Safe employs/trains people to look after children who need help.



There are a multitude of restaurants in Phnom Penh and plenty of different dishes such as Spanish, Italian, British and a huge French influence. Becks you would love it here, they even put chilli in their sugar for dipping fruits in :-) which I discovered after smothering it on my grapefruit. Of course, I didn’t tell Chad this and he had the same nasty shock as me …. he he he :-)



We have noticed that pyjamas are very popular here. Loads of women seem to wear them to go out in. I’m thinking about getting myself a pair :-)



Update on moped watch - we saw a 3 piece suite being transported on the back of a moped :-)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb