Manflu strikes in Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 15th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful nights sleep we headed off to the Russian Market to collect a few things before catching our bus to Sihanoukville. Jill feeling much better today, but I had a bit of a headache and earache and so after a light lunch and a couple of panadol for me, we headed to the bus stop in plenty of time for our 1330 departure time.

Had forgotten the prevalence of guns here in Cambodia and also the number of undercover police. Constantly amazed at the number of armed people in public spaces. Bus stops have armed private security, national police and undercover police, not sure if private citizens are allowed to carry guns but definitely not a place to get into arguments.

Weren´t sure how long the trip would take - agent said 6 hours, held up 4 fingers and wrote 1625 on the ticket. Assumed the worst so purchased 4 litres of cold water and packed them away in our chilly bag. Surprisingly the bus (Capital Tours) left more or less on time and not only had efficient A/C but also curtains to keep the sun out. At 1630 we stopped for dinner about 125 km away from Sihanoukville and I noticed that even though I was standing in the shade it felt like I was out in the full heat of the sun. Realised then that I was running a massive temp and was getting dehydrated. Dozed most of the rest of the journey with Jill waking me every 15 mins to take 2 or 3 mouthfuls of cold water.

On arrival was pretty much rehydrated and more panadol had kicked in so we grabbed a couple of taxi bikes and headed for the Beach Road Hotel - checked in (15 USD/night fan and TV, Wifi and swimming pool) and headed for the pool. Managed a light dinner and a walk around the local funfair before heading off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb