And then there was water...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 27th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. It's a great city with good food, great architecture and nice people (not to mention 35 degrees, 90+ percent humidity and corrupt police).

However, the news is not all good. We arrived here on Friday after spending about a week in Saigon, or Ho Chi Minh City if you prefer - another great city. We had a brilliant day with really good food and some nice locals but at night disaster struck. In the room next to ours a pipe burst around midnight, flooding the entire first floor with about 10cm of water. We were first aware of this when we got up to check out what the noise was about and stepped ankle deep in water... next to our bed.

As we had only just arrived, our backpacks were on the floor and were subsequently completely soaked. This included my mp3 player, laptop and our camera, our passports, some books, Janine's journal and all the tickets and other keepsakes we'd acquired over the past two months as well as all of our clothes.

The next morning, after moving to a new room and spreading everything out to dry, we found out that amazingly the mp3 player and the camera were still working. My laptop however was not as lucky and it is officially dead. Hopefully the insurance company will cover most of the cost of replacing or fixing it. In the mean time we're without our DVD player and so won't be able to watch all those $1 dollar or less DVDs we bought for rainy days.

How will this affect you as a constant reader, you might wonder: well the main thing is that I can't prepare text and pictures to put online which means I have to spend more time in internet cafes if I want to put up nice blogs. Since I don't really like doing that, there's a good chance there will be less blogs with less pictures. Sad but true.

For now we're going to Sihanoukville in the south of Cambodia to get a bit of relief from the busy and loud Asian city life and spend some time on the beach and in the sea. Although the diving this time of year is not really rewarding here because of poor visibility, we'll give the snorkeling a go anyway. Like I said in my last blog, you sometimes find the best stuff in the places you'd least expect to find anything.

Hope you all are having a nice summer (or winter, if you're in south Australia) and we'll catch up soon with hopefully some more pictures.

Stay safe!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb