Lazy weekends in Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 25th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cambodian People's PartyCambodian People's PartyCambodian People's Party

These signs were everywhere
7 - 25 Feb

Each weekend, Jen and I get Mr Ohn and his tuktuk into Phnom Penh...a 1.5hr bumpy drive through great rural Cambodian countryside. I don't manage to get much sightseeing done, we just explore the Riverside and Lakeside areas, stock up on snacks for the week at Lucky Supermarket, spend time on the internet, etc. During one tuktuk trip home we end up picking up a hitch hiking orange-robed monk who rides with us for a while before we trip him off at his temple!

For our last weekend in Cambodia, Jen and I stay over night at Smile Guesthouse on the Lakeside. A great, wee family run place with cute Sophea (our moto driver) and Lee, the cheeky (and also cute) bar manager. We have a hilarious weekend of eating and drinking including scrummy tapas lunch and cocktails at Friends (a restaurant which employs underpriviledged, young & homeless Khmers), amazing tea and cake at Cafe Fresco, a great Italian for dinner and then lots of drinking at the Drunken Frog before staggering home at 4am.

It's great getting tuktuks around the city and even better on the back of a moto. PP has a
Cute Khmer kidsCute Khmer kidsCute Khmer kids

Outside Lucky supermarket!
great vibe to it having had to re-invent itself after Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge regime ripped it apart from 1975-79. It's a modern and relaxed city with friendly people (except for the annoying, persistent wee kids selling books on the streets!). I read several books about the Khmer Rouge during my time in Cambodia and find it incredible that although it is a country which has been through so much trouble and pain, the Khmer people are positive, smiling and always laughing at (only occasionally with!) the foreigners.

The rest of our weekends are spent having lazy Sundays watching DVD's and chilling out on the balcony.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Downtown Phonm PenhDowntown Phonm Penh
Downtown Phonm Penh

On a Saturday night
Khmer CountrysideKhmer Countryside
Khmer Countryside

View from volunteer house
Jones the DogJones the Dog
Jones the Dog

Guarding the bears
Free the BearsFree the Bears
Free the Bears

Phnom Tamao
Tiger, tiger...againTiger, tiger...again
Tiger, tiger...again

In captivity this time - Phnom Tamao
Artistic bearArtistic bear
Artistic bear

One of the strangest things I've seen on my trip :)


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb