Exit to Cambodia and Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
September 8th 2008
Published: September 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Alarm woke us up at 5am this morning, Rachael was not happy! We hurridly packed our things and headed to the Sinh Cafe to catch our coach to Cambodia, Phnom Penh. We boarded our coach at 6.30am and set off shortly afterwards. Sai Gon was extremely busy for this time of day, especially with motobikes cramming every last inch of road. It took a while to get out of the city but after that we were well on our way.

It wasn't far to the Moc Bai-Bavet border crossing where we had to unload all our bags, get them scanned, our passports stamped and reboard the same coach to take us the few hundred metres to the entrance gate to Cambodia. Here we jumped off again, gave away our Passports, had a selection of bags scanned and reboarded the coach. After waiting twenty or so minutes our passports were returned and we were on our way again to Phnom Penh.

Most of the journey was just passing Rice Paddy fields but there was definitly alot more wide open space copared to Vietnam. We even got to go on a car ferry!

When we arrived in Phnom Penh we selected a guesthouse and an over friendly/eager tuktuk driver took us there. He patiently waitied outside while we dumped our things and then he took us to all the places we wanted to go in the city.

Firstly we went to the Killing Fields, a chilling place where many Cambodians were slaughtered at the hands of the Khymer Rouge. We then headed to the genocide museum which was once a high school and was turned into a prison for torture. There were many pictures and also skulls showing gun shots and fractures where the people had been killed. It was shocking.

From here we headed back and ooked our onward travel for the next day.

After having some dinner we headed to an internet cafe to do this only to be plunged into darkness with a powercut! We were told it could be up to an hour before it came back on, we came out and saw across the road the power in our guesthouse was also out so we headed down the road slightly to the place we are in now where the power is ok! Hopefully by the time we have finished this the power will be ok again.

Advertisement



8th September 2008

Hope power was restored. don't like the sound of your visits today but I suppose you have to see such sights to appreciate their history and culture. Hopefully Tuesday's tours will be more cheerful.
8th September 2008

Always take a head torch!!!!
Have been offline so just catching up on blog!Now you know why I say "always take a head torch - an essential when travelling in the east because you just never know!Love you both loads!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb