Don’t Compare Places to Bangkok, But Phnom Penh is Very Like Bangkok


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 1st 2019
Published: August 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Independence MonumentIndependence MonumentIndependence Monument

The Independence Monument in Phnom Penh.
We were up early as we had a flight to catch, but breakfast opened just in time so we were able to get something to eat before we left. The same guide who took us to the port and back was waiting for us in reception and then we had to face the rush hour Hanoi traffic, not that it was much different to any other time.

It had clearly been raining heavily overnight, although we had not heard any thunder. Mind you, the hotel windows are probably well sound-proofed to cut out all the moped horns.

The guide told us that no boats were leaving today because of the impending typhoon, so we were very, very lucky.

On the way to the airport, we drove along a a substantial part of the Hanoi Ceramic Murals. This is several miles long and consists of lots of different murals aiming to brighten-up some dull dike system walls.

We left Hanoi from a different terminal that we arrived at, but it was still huge, new and very impressive. Security was very quiet so we got through with loads of time to spare. Consequently, we walked to each end of
Ceramic MuralCeramic MuralCeramic Mural

A very tiny section of this huge mural in Hanoi.
the terminal and back, past loads and loads of gift-shops (maybe later), not least because it also meant my wife was able to get most of her Fitbit steps in whilst we were in the cool.

There was an Aeroflot flight ready to leave. They look like they have rebranded, but it was still a reminder of that long nightmare to get to this region 30 years ago (albeit more directly than I thought at the time).

The flight to Phnom Penh was not direct, so after less than an hour we landed at Vientiane, which is the capital of Laos and, apparently, Asia’s smallest capital. We didn’t need to get off the flight, so sadly I can’t claim Laos as another country visited yet - well maybe I will (the same as I claim that Moscow airport counts as Russia when it suits me).

Phnom Penh is much more like how I remember Bangkok to be (although I must stop making pointless comparisons to Bangkok). There are the ornate, colourful temples, the monks clad in their bright orange robes, tuk tuks and the same smells from the street food being cooked. There are more cars in
The Long RouteThe Long RouteThe Long Route

A reminder of the cheap but long-winded option to get here.
the chaotic traffic, although still a lot of lawless mopeds. No one propositioning all the men though.

It is also back to writing that we cannot read.

Out hotel is right opposite the huge American Embassy, or rather the American Embassy slash Fort Knox. We also saw an EU embassy.

We headed-off to the Central Markets, which was an experience. There is the main cross-shaped building, with a huge central dome, not unlike the Pantheon in Rome. Then all the way around are a maze of more market stalls selling everything you could think of, with different areas for different things: clothes, bags, food, electronics, textiles, household, kitchen and on and on. My wife was looking at some bags and, apparently, some of the more expensive ones ($50 or there abouts), are actually genuine, unlike the other fakes. A genuine Louis Vuitton bag for $50, that’s good to know!

We got our son a genuine Tommy Hilfiger t-shirt, whilst I debated treating myself to a genuine Rolex watch.

Everything here seems to be priced in US Dollars, at least for us tourists.

At one point they were crushing a load of ice, in what
Hotel ViewHotel ViewHotel View

It had been heavily raining overnight.
could only be described as the most unsanitary conditions imaginable. It would be bad enough if it was for all the raw fish that was nearby, but even worse if it was to end-up in any drink that I might be buying at some point. They do say that ice is something to be carful with.

Later, I walked down to the Independence Monument. This is definitely the nicest part of the city, with wide grassed areas, all full of people enjoying the evening and the vast array of monuments, temples and palaces.

Getting back to the hotel suddenly started to get quite urgent. The jury is out as to whether it was the previous evening's street food sushi (see For Once It’s Not The British Empire They Despise) or maybe it was some dodgy ice in a drink, which is always something you need to look out for. Anyway, I got back in time and needed to spend the rest of the evening and most of the night in very close proximity to the toilet. Both ends as it where.

If it was the sushi, it took along while to hit. I was just thankful that I'd been fine on the flight.

We
LaosLaosLaos

So near yet so far..
went down to the hotel restaurant for something to eat. I thought some French Onion Soup would be managable, but I could only handle a few sips and it wasn't long before I quickly needed to get back up to our room, leaving my wife saying "I told you so!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Central MarketThe Central Market
The Central Market

The Pantheon like interior of the Phnom Penh Central Market.
Good AdviceGood Advice
Good Advice

Presumably people are used to squat toilets.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb