Day 03: Old Phnom Penh, New Experience (Aug 2018)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 11th 2018
Published: August 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 11th August 2018

At 8.30am, the sun was bright and sunny as 16 of us joined the cyclo tour to take in the architectural wonders of Central Phnom Penh. For the next 3 hours, the tour brought us to some of the most iconic buildings in the city including the Central Post Office, the China House as well as the quiet Railway Station.

The guide was very informative as she shared with us stories of Cambodian history and political situation that corresponded to the period when the buildings were built. All in all, this was a very well-organised tour put together plus a very enjoyable cyclo ride around the city centre.

Earlier in the morning, C and myself had woken up at 6.30am. We decided to hail a tuk tuk to the Olympic Stadium for my favourite porridge breakfast while watching the local people at play. The Olympic Stadium was designed by Cambodian architect, Van Molyvann and completed sometime in 1964. Many of the buildings coined during this era were known as the New Khmer Architecture. With a seating capacity of about 50,000, the stadium was originally slated to host the South East Asian Peninsular (SEAP Games). However, political situation in the 1960s simply did not allow Cambodia to fulfill its sporting aspirations......

After our cyclo tour in the morning, we took our meals at the NGO restaurant, Friends. I ordered a fish dish with rice and a refreshing juice to cool down from the heat. Next, we continued our journey to the National Museum next door where we linked up with some of the tour members to begin our gourmet tour.

For the uninitiated, this was a marathon food tour that involved sieving out as many signature dishes as possible from the various food establishments that we stopped. The whole tour was conducted entirety on foot (and it did not help that I was wearing my flip flops). Some of the more quirky dishes that we check-out included pineapple soup, Cambodian curry steamboat and sesame noodles.

This was yet another day of fulfilling meals, plenty of team bonding and engagement. Throughout the day, different groups of us were sharing whatsapp updates on which interesting places they / we had been to as we concluded day 3 of our Phnom Penh adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb