The Royal Palace


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
November 13th 2017
Published: November 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

A GarudaA GarudaA Garuda

Is an intermediary between the Hindu deities of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma
Yesterday, being our last full day in Phnom Penh we visited the Royal Palace. Having driven past it many times we were keen to see what it was like.

It’s a large complex with many different buildings including the Silver Pagoda which contains the Emerald Buddha. According to Wikipedia it is not certain what exactly it is made of. Someone even suggested Lalique. Suffice to say it is referred to as being made of Emerald - Crystal. It was beautifully translucent with the light coming through it and is similar to the one in Bangkok.

Unfortunately people are not allowed to go in the main throne room which is huge. You can peek through the side doors and windows only. It looks quite magnificent but beady-eyed guards are watching very closely ready to pounce if anyone even looks like they might be raising their phone.

The National Museum was next door so that was a must, to be remembered for its air conditioned cafe where we could cool off. Somehow the high ceilings and fans weren’t very effective in the 33degree heat.

I’ll let the photos tell the story.

Our last dinner with Sean, Agata and Alexander at Mok Mony on 274 street included the most delicious appetiser Beef Wrapped in Betel Nut Leaves. Tiny morsels, six to a skewer. Yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The urn used to convey the king’s body for ceremonies after death.The urn used to convey the king’s body for ceremonies after death.
The urn used to convey the king’s body for ceremonies after death.

This urn was used for three kings in the 20th century
The King’s Stupa The King’s Stupa
The King’s Stupa

Contains his remains
Ceremonial boat Ceremonial boat
Ceremonial boat

Many similarities to a waka
The chair the king is carried inThe chair the king is carried in
The chair the king is carried in

On ceremonial occasions


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb