All in days cycling in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kep
August 31st 2011
Published: August 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kep was going to be my final stop on the Cambodian trail before heading back to the big bad city. The seaside town was even sleepier than Kampot, which meant it near enough in a coma, it is famed for it's crab market and super fresh sea food that literaly jumps out of the sea and onto your plate and the famous pepper is always on hand. All this set with the backdrop of prestine mountains blanketed by a mass of multi-coloured greens. Well one can only imagine, again when I first arrived the top of the mountains disappeared into the mist and the whole time I was squinting out to the coast and got excited whenever I got a glimpse of the sea and the islands, only to heave in disappointment when it disappeared through the rain.

So not to be deterred, myself and 3 other girls braved it and hired bikes and set off for Ankgaul beach, which is suppsed to be e bit of an attraction (that's not in the Disney World sense). What was more important about this little jaunt wasn't the destinationbut the trip there. Firstly there was supposed to be a short cut but
Waiting for enlightenmentWaiting for enlightenmentWaiting for enlightenment

Budha and my new cycling buddies
we never found it but in a way it was a good thing for we would never have had the experience that we did.

From the mass of school children we barged in on wearing their I heart Cambodia t-shirts on, the budhist temple where walked into and ended up talking to a monk, had a tour and he asked if we could come back later to help with his English lessons. If we had agreed there would be a classroom of monks speaking English with Catford accent, can you imagine! The children at the fishing village whom loved having their photo taken and spent the whole time with wonder looking at themselves on the LCD screen. Last but not least for the whole 6 hours we were cycling, through villages and past houses the children and adults all waving with grining faces shouting hello and the little entourage we accumulated of people whom cycled along the side of us, who just wanted to try their limited English on us. Their happiness and enthusiasm was exhaustingly infectious which helped us through the extra 15 miles or so we ended up cycling.

Anyway enjoy the pictures, I enjoyed taking them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sea front of KepSea front of Kep
Sea front of Kep

All along are the restaurants that have the tastiest fish in Cambodia


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb