Kep - old villas, pepper crab and beer


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kep
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another wonderful day in Kep.

Breakfast at the Veranda is great, back into my SE Asia favourite - omlettes.

Organised a Tuk tuk driver through the hotel to do a tour of Kep and in particular all the old villas. Kep used to be the playground for the well off with rows upon rows of villas This all changed with the Khmer Rouge and there are now hundreds? of villas in total disrepair with everything except solid concrete removed. There are conflicting stories as to whether the Khmer Rouge destroyed the villas or they were stripped by the locals who sold the materials in Vietnam.

Needless to say it is a photography heaven. so a couple of hours later we were dropped back at the Crab Market for a wonderful lunch of Kep crab with green pepper. yum!!! Not to mention a big bottle of Angkor beer (640ml) for $2 a bottle. who wouldn't be happy. Besides the food the Crab Market is just a great place to sit and watch Cambodian life in action with the crab ladies wading out to their necks at times to recover and reset their crab traps.

After lunch it was back to the hotel - decided to walk - wouldn't bother again so much easier in a tuk tuk (or is it - more later).

An afternoon by the pool then it was back to the crab Market for drinks and dinner. After a couple of drinks we couldn't be bothered moving for food so ordered where we were despite a limited menu - bad choice. The food was ordinary.

Decided to get a tuk tuk back up the hill after the afternoon's effort. Negotiated our price set off but only made it half way up before the tuk tuk died. Paid a reduced rate then walked up the hill anyway. Will have to improve our negotiation skills to include no payment if they can't make it to the front door.

Will add some photos when I can be bothered.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb