Day 39: Kampot


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
May 7th 2018
Published: May 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Kampot was our first stop in Cambodia. We find the currency super confusing to figure out. Cambodians use US dollars and riel, 50/50. So you might pay in riel and get change in dollars or vice versa. Annoyingly your dollar notes have to be pristine otherwise they won’t be accepted. My 50 dollar bill had the tiniest rip and no where would take it. Bloody nightmare.
We went on a tour up Mount Bokor; one of the main draws of Kampot province. Mount Bokor is far from a normal mountain. The French colonials took over the land leading up the mountain and constructed buildings such as luxury hotels, police stations, schools and churches to create a retreat for colonial residents in the early 1920’s. The buildings have since been abandoned, leaving a ghostly historical landmark in southern Cambodia. The most famous building was the Bokor Palace Hotel which has since been renovated into a world class resort, costing up to 1000 USD per night. The hotel is stunning, but the views stretching across the southern seafront is really what you’re paying for. The location has been used in the film City of Ghosts and R-Point. The mountain is haunted with the dark history of the Khmer Rouge massacre in 1975; over 1000 lives were taken through cruel and sinister mass murder.
On the evening we went on a sunset boat cruise to watch the fireflies whilst getting wasted with some Aussies.
We only spend a couple days in Kampot as there isn’t a great deal to do. Although our stay was short, it was definitely sweet.
Next stop, Sihanoukville.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb