Going into week 3


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampong Speu
August 18th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

Wow, so I've been here for two weeks already. We've had some really good music sessions so far and they are enjoying it. Unfortunately this week I've come down with tonsilitous which isn't great for the singing! but we've got some good rhythms going on.

I've settled in more now having got used to the surroundings and how things work here.

Yesterday was heart-renching. There's a little boy who arrived this week. He is probably about 2 years old. His mother is very ill with (she's HIV+) and couldn't take care of him so he came here. He is HIV+ too but they are now both on medication. She's gone back to her home and we're hoping that she'll build up strength and at some point they'll be able to be reunited. But the boy yesterday was obviously finding life very daunting, and he wept and wept and wept. Kathy, the wife who runs the village, held him for a long time, then I held him and he was utterly exhausted. He fell asleep in my arms. He cried again in pre-school this morning so we played together for a long time. By this afternoon he'd made friends with a lovely little girl, shri-ji, and he even had a smile on his face.

The wonderful thing about this village is the number of carers there are here. All children live in a 'family'of 8 with a care giving couple. And then for each 3 families there's a cook. They make sure in the village that there is one adult to at least 5 children. There are some goverment orphanges here where there's just one adult to each 50 kids. Can you imagine.

I've added another album to picasa:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/heatherjpeck/CamodiaWeek2

Thanks for all your on-going support :o)
love Heather



Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb