Cambodia - Building Connections


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North
February 9th 2017
Published: February 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Although we come with the intention of building a home for a family(ies), we leave knowing our journey and purpose is much greater. We also come as ambassadors of our nation to share goodwill and receive the the goodness that surrounds us. This includes the natural, cultural and human resources of the countries we visit.

During our stay we were treated to several informative and entertaining outings. First I will concentrate on the entertaining.

Tuesday, our first evening outing was to the Bat Caves located just outside Battambang. We arrived at the site to a party like atmosphere with locals and tourists. There we waiting while enjoying ice cream and drinks for dusk to arrive. As if by an unheard signal, the bats emerged from their cave. A small trickle was followed by a steady stream of wrinkle lips bats heading into the evening sky for their meal of mosquitos. (no, I didn’t get close enough to see their lips). The column of bats swelled and undulated in the fading light. Most of us were mesmerized. Several tourists discovered that by making loud noises they could disrupt the formation of bats. Although this as an interesting phenomena, it was considered disruptive to their normal behavior.

On Wednesday evening we attended what was billed as a local circus. In actually, we witnessed a talented group of young performers as they dazzled us with acrobatic and comical stunts. This was actually a non profit, training orphan children in the performing arts helping them to find meaningful work for their futures. It was a close up performance allowing us to almost feel as if we were part of the action. The same evening was one of our team members birthday. We celebrating at the circus with a surprise rendition of happy birthday sung by the cast and us, along with the presentation of a great big cake.

After a hard day’s work, we really appreciated the R&R activities. To me however, it is the personal cultural interactions that have the most lasting meaning. We have been working alongside with members of our partner families. Mrs. Song come each day the work site with 4 of her young children. Several of us with an affinity for young children have spent time connecting with the children through play, crafts and mimed conversations. I’ve colored with the little kids and play some fierce games of tic-tac-toe with the slightly older children. It was challenging, but ultimately rewarding to share the concept of completing a maze with the older kids. Once they got, they were able to zip through page after page. As the week went on, tentative smiles became warm hugs and joyous hand holding.

Phally (our host coordinator) & I worked hard to arrange a school visit at a nearby primary school. Our team choose to donate money to purchase school supplies for each of the children at the school. We were greeted by the entire student body and faculty at the school. Roughly 150 well behaved children were ilned up by class. They sang for us answered a few questions via interpreter and excitely accepted our gifts.

Order was replaced by chaos when the children were dimissed for recess with their vistors. We randomly divided into groups were we played soccer, tug of war and duck-duck-goose. Laughter and giggles still ring in my ears and the kids consistently picked on their foreign visitors to be “it”.

A more sobering connection was had when our partner families invited us to visit their current housing situations. Both families lived nearby in an informal settlement in what appeared to us as very unsafe, unsuitable living situations. The Song familiy lived in a one room stilted home with a plywood floor, tin roof and walls made from whatever found material was availble. This may have been, plastic sheeting cardboard or old clothing. One wall of their house had a large holw in the side, which their young daughter enjoyed as a peeking spot. Outisde there was chickens, puppies, trash, recycling and a large amount of standing water. (This is the dry season).

Syreno’s house a few yards away was a multiroom house with a significant list . It appeared to be moments from falling over. I was charmed by her up before asking us to enter. Regardless of the state of your living situation, many of us want to welcome guersts into our home at its best.

Once experiencing their current living situations and listening to their stories and concerns, our mission of building thm a decent home took on even more urgency. I am grateful for the opprotunity to visit this country, connect with the people and to offer serve to those in need.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb