Siem Reap and the Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 4th 2015
Published: April 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After a long 8 hour river trip up the river and Crossing the biggest lake in Cambodia, the Tonle Sap we made it to Siem Reap! The boat trip seemed a nice change from buses to get to our next destination and it certainly was worth the gamble, we floated through wonderful floating villages, fishing communities and got to see first hand the way of life for people living on this river. As it was the dry season the river level was very low, this caused problems for the boat, getting stuck regularly and having to negotiate round the shallow areas how ever the views from the boat made up for this.

Siem Reap located in the north of Cambodia is the gateway to Angkor, it is fully kitted out for backpackers and tourist a like, with restaurants, spas and picturesque tree lined boulevards. Our time spent here took on a trip to the night market and visiting popular restaurants (nicest Cambodian curry) and of course some bars. Our hostel was situated about 3 minutes away from the main part of town, popular with backpackers it had a nice chill out garden, pool and events for travelers to get involved in.

After a good nights sleep and chilled first day in Siem Reap we went and did what we came here to do, The Temples of Angkor. The grand scale of Angkor is hard to describe, a vast area filled with unique complexes of temples one in particular Angkor Wat being the largest of them all. To really experience this trip properly you need at least 2 days, we only had one so had to make it count. Some of my favorite temples had to be Angkor Wat purely because of it grand scale and the views looking out from the top. The Ta Prohm and Bayon Temple (Featured in Lara Croft) were awesome too, located deep into the jungle the architecture and detail of them is unmatched. Bayon has 54 towers each baring four enigmatic faces.

It was an awesome day and something I will never forget, well worth a visit. Our final night in the hostel saw us having a few beers by the pool ready for the next days travel to Phnom Penh.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb