Landmine Museum and more


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 21st 2013
Published: December 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We visited the Landmine Museum this morning (http://www.cambodialandminemuseum.org). It might have been better economically to combine this with a multi-day temple pass and a visit to the beautiful Banteay Srei temple, but that didn't work well with our schedule. The ride out was rural and interesting as we passed water buffalo, rice fields, children in school uniforms on bicycles, and houses with clay over brick stoves in front.


The museum is small but information-rich. I think some of my students really understood the bigger problems caused by UXOs for the first time (including exploring the question of why the US, China, and Russia won't sign the landmine ban treaty). The central ordnance display is reminiscent of the memorial stupa at Choeung Ek with its glass-fronted piles of skulls.

We had lunch with Melissa and Matthew and heard how their holiday party went yesterday. Matthew in a Santa suit was a big hit.

I went first to Monument Books, then checked in on three students who are getting haircuts or makeovers or both at the Somaly Mam salon, then watched an interesting video about Angkor Hospital for Children at their visitor center. We'll have dinner at Sugar Palm, recommended by Gordon Ramsey. Meanwhile, I'm pulling out extra bandaids, mosquito repellant wipes, and Imodium to send to with my students who are continuing on to Thailand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb