on route cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 4th 2012
Published: February 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Having left the hotel at 630am we were on our way to the border in a okish bus, like a 1980s National Express with air-con. At the bus terminal we were befriended by a older German-Austrian couple who quickly declared they were missionaries and shouting hallejuah at every opportunity! Having travelled the 5 hours bus journey through some nice countryside and suburban areas we arrived at the Thai border town. We were greeted with an array of tuk-tuk drivers including Gadaffi and Lara Croft. For some unknown reason me, Rob, the couple and all our luggage decided to share- the tuk tuk barely moved and none of us could see where we were heading. What would our mothers say! Well rather than being taken to the border point we were dropped off at the world famous scam capital consulate. Having waved our e-visas and couldn't persuade Mary and Joseph they were about to be scammed we headed into the streets with not a clue of where to go. Instincts and help from an 'official' guided us to the border point. The rest was plain sailing and the Cambodia side much easier. Although Poipet looked lawless and wreckless. We were followed and guided by our young 'official' helper who gladly received his tip. Whoever you were, we may not have said it- thank-you! Sometimes the locals do just want to earn a few quid.

A 2-hour taxi ride into Siam Reap sharing with fellow travellers was a tour within itself, 2-hours back into time, sometimes pre industrial revolution, sometimes biblical. An amazing place including 2 pigs being transported on a moped- kicking as they cruised down the road. We have settled in quickly, drinks, supper and my 1st case of deli belly- nothing a strong beer won't fix.

The days have already started to merge and becoming wise at ignoring the constant buy buy buy from everyone.

Tomorrow, Angor Wat is on the agenda.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb