Siem Reap Day 1


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 7th 2011
Published: November 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Abu Dhabi to Siem Reap


So we could not stay in Bangkok because of the floods and I was a little disappointed by this as was really looking forward to seeing this great city, anyway it was a very short and excellent flight although very expensive with Bangkok Air to Siem Reap and to what has to be one of the smallest airports I have ever seen! Made Blackpool look big! We already had our Visa's (well worth getting in advance in my book) so it was straight though the not very happy security guards who take your picture and then your finger printers on a fancy machine! Then we changed a little money, on reflection you could probably get away with having none as dollars are accepted everywhere but you will often get change in a mixture of the currencies anyway, its 4000 r to the $1 or 5000r to the £1.
We were staying in the Tanei Guesthouse which offers free pick up from the airport, straight outside was the Tuk Tuk with the driver waiting with a nice big board with our name on. The excellent thing about this guesthouse its location, 5 minutes walk from the old market, pub street and the night market. Siem Reap is pretty small and easy to get around and Tuk Tuks are everywhere, they say $1 a trip but custom is to give them $2 let's be honest it's a lot cheaper than the UK! The guesthouse also has everything even Wifi! A really nice pool, bar, restaurant, computer room and even its own Taxis. The staff are also lovely and cant do enough for you.
When we arrived we were checked in, it was about 1pm and we had not slept much on the overnight from Dubai – Bangkok and then on so went to the room for sleep after arranging our Tuk Tuk driver to collect us at 4.30 for sunset at Banteay Srei. I had read somewhere that if you buy your tickets after 5pm its valid the next day and the hotel confirmed this, so you get a sunset and then a whole day for $20 for the ticket and $20 to hire the Tuk Tuk both days.
After the sleep and shower we went down to meet Rener our Tuk Tuk driver who lives at hotel so is never late!! Off we went on the 20 min drive taking in our first real sights and smells of Siem Reap. The roads are not the best and I would say more than 90% of people work in the tourist trade in some way or another so there are lots of restaurants, cafes and bars serving all nationalities.
Once at the ticket office a short queue to get your ticket which cleverly has your photo printed on it to stop you passing it on! Then off to Banteay, as with all the temples and buildings as soon as the Tuk Tuk stops your mobbed “you want cold drink mr, your want guide book” but something about the soft voices that means you never get angry and they are not aggressive in one bit. Whatever you do don’t say you will something later, they will be waiting! I seen one Korean guy and the girl said to him “but yesterday you said you would buy a guide book of me, I came here today especially!” Dont forget the average wage in Cambodia is $800 a year! So making a few $ is a lot.
Its about a 20 min walk up the steep hill to the top and then you have to almost rock climb up the last part but it's all worth it. The temple itself is not the best example but the view is amazing especially at sunset when the sky turns red. The whole place gives you an amazing feeling and trying to understand how the built it over a 1000 years ago is difficult to fathom. After spending about an hour taking photos and watching the sunset it was back to the Tuk Tuk and back to the hotel before venturing out on our own!
As I said its just a five minute walk the markets were we had a look around before heading for dinner at Palm Resturant (pithnou street) were we had the recommended Khmer mixed platter for two (we should have really got one each as Johanna scoffed all the ribs!). The food was amazing and taste of lemon grass and other fragrant herbs a taste sensation (no garlic bread though!) and all washed down with a nice gold Tiger beer. After our lovely meal which cost less than $20 including drinks it was off for a full body massage ($6 for an hour) to get rid of the strain from the flights, as usual I opted for the deep tissue one which was a little painful but didn’t half do the trick!
And that was the end of day one, up at 6am tomorrow so early to bed for us!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb