Siem Reap pt. 2 - A Night at Ta Prohms


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 10th 2010
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hayley at Ta KeoHayley at Ta KeoHayley at Ta Keo

Pre stair-climbing
Friday, 10th September
After a full and tiring day of temple spotting yesterday we opted for another day of temple spotting. We decided on the remainder of the "big" circuit, the lesser-spotted temples of Angkor Wat and probably slightly less spectacular. The day started well with our tuk-tuk driver waiting at the hotel. Smiley and with a personality; Lucky is back. Turns out my racism was not so much - yesterday's little dreamer was his brother.

The day started with the surprising revelation that the Chinese have invaded. In buses not tanks. I have no idea where they all went through, the temples were all pretty quiet today.

The first temple we hit today was Ta Keo, and thank God it was the first whilst we still had energy. The stairs at Ta Keo were steeper than the rise in petrol prices. Absolutely not wheelchair friendly. Or really anyone over 50 friendly. Or 20 stone friendly. Come to think of it - anybody with slight indifference to vigorous exercise. Pretty unfriendly. We climbed it anyway, losing half a stone each in the process. At the top there was the standard carvings and praying recesses only with a great view of the surrounding land. A little kid, no older than 5, tried to tap us up for money. Instead I gave her bite cream for her disgusting and obviously itchy foot. Hope she wasn't allergic. Little girl if you died of this I am sorry.

The only worse than going up stair mountain; going down it.

Next we headed to Ta Prohm. This is where the tourists are. This particular temple was made famous by Angelina Jolie's boobs in Tomb Raider. It's kinda strange - this temple is one of the most run down and restoration has clearly begun. The contrast of old eroded stone against newly created lighter stone I'n not so sure about. The totally redeeming feature is again the encroachment of these giant trees with roots like alien feet. Think the end of Watchmen. Book not film. Hayley tells me it's not as good as Preah Khan was. She hates Angelina Jolie though so I don't know what to think.

Onwards at a relentless pace to East Mebon. At least I think it was Mebon. For anyone who's been here, this is the one where the kids get you to swap a 50p for some dollar equivalent. You better believe I made commission on that deal. Stupid kid. It's only later when his sister says she collects foreign money that you know what's going on.
"Er no, I don't think I have any English"
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure"
The kid is screwed. She can't tell me how she knows. Score 1. England.

In the afteroon we went to Ta Som and Neak Pean, one basically a tree raped entrance to more forest and the other an ornamental pool with literally nobody there. We chose to sit there for a little while, hope Lucky doesn't get lonely. Starting to feel slightly guilty about asking Lucky to keep going to more temples, especially as we wanted to see Thommanom, Chau Say Thevoda, the South Gate and Angkor Wat again because it's sunnier today. Just as we got back the rain came down by the bucket. I've said it before - we live a charmed life with this rain.

In the evening we had dinner with Pete and Becky and went to a bar so loud that bits of my brain fell out. We also bought a massive painting of Angkor Wat, which will sit its wicker tube probably at least until, say, the 6th March 2011.

Saturday, 11th September
Cambodia we barely knew ye. A quick but stuffed-fuller-than-a-fat-man-at-a-buffet 6 days in Cambodia is over. I don't think we'll ever have such a contrast of the sadness of Phnom Penh and awesomeness of Angkor Wat ever again. The people were great, I like them the most in this region. There are a few more things we could have done but the beach keeps calling. I think I'm hearing voices.

To get to the beaches of Phuket we have to go back via Bangkok. We took a direct bus with literally only tourists on it. Another border crossing came and went. As we stood in the queue some little kids snuck through into the "nothing" zone. The police set off in chase. After less than half a minute four of the kids ran screaming back through. The gate guard caught one and threw him into the gatehouse. He shut the door behind him, completely pointless because his shouting shook the floor. And blew the roof off. And made a "nothing zone" casino fall down. Poor stupid kid.

At the border we saw Pete and Becky (again) who told us a child sex story. Sh*t. Totally ruined the bus journey. My stomach is turning. At the lunch stop ten minutes after the border I did not feel like eating. That might be because we just had lunch right before the border. We are well and truly back in Thailand.

Back in Bangkok we checked into the same hotel and enjoyed a McDonald's more than ever before.

We took a walk through the Khao San Road area which has been closed off to traffic for some sort of street festival. Music that makes you want to pull your ears off and lots of food which would probably make them fall off. We had a look around but didn't get too involved. I kind of remember that I don't like it here too much. Think I'll leave my nose in the gutter with my ears.

Sunday, 12th September
We checked out as late as possible today because we have a bus booked in the evening and a whole attic full of time but nothing to fill it with. All we really got up to was some time at the suit shop getting Hayley's suit, where I picked myself up some shirts and a coat at a great price simply by refusing to buy them for the time it took Hayley to try on her new suit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

East MebonEast Mebon
East Mebon

Fresh from my currency exchange gains
Ta Som Ta Som
Ta Som

From the voyeur's spot


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb