... And On To The 3rd Country....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 30th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

One Night In Bangkok….



From Sukhothai we caught the bus to Bangkok so we could transfer to the train out to Aranyuprathet at the border to Cambodia. On arrival, we headed to Hua Lumpong Station to organise the tickets for the next morning. The information attendant gave us the strangest look when we said where we were going, and so we found out, it wasn’t only because of the fact that tickets can only be bought for 3rd Class the day of the train….. She also asked why were catching the train instead of the bus. Thinking if the train attendant is questioning our transport it can’t be good we spoke to the taxi driver on the way to the hostel and promptly decided to head to Morchit Bus Terminal the next morning.

The hostel was a step up from the street, but for only one night with an early start and at only $6 each, we settled in for some sleep before our 5am departure.

The bus trip was uneventful, and the organised taxi through our guest house in Siem Reap was a godsend. Visa proceedings went with minimum fuss before being loaded into the taxi and on our way. The road to Siem Reap is now fully sealed, so the trip only took about 1 ½ hours before we were welcomed at Rosy Guesthouse.

They say that the company you keep goes a long way to how much you enjoy yourself, and in this case the company made all the difference!!!

Welcomed by Anna and Smiley with open arms, we felt instantly at home at Rosy, with good food, clean rooms and excellent staff. The afternoon and the next day was spent getting to know our hosts and their friends over a few beers and the odd Australian wine and football (soccer) match. ANZAC Day was spent in great company having a yarn in true aussie fashion

.The 26th saw our first run out to the temples of Angkor. Deciding to do some of the lesser known ones first on the outer circuit was a good choice as it opened our eyes to what we were in for. Visiting Phrea Khan, Noak Pean, Ta Som, East Meban, Pre Rup and Banteay Kdei was an experience to say the least. The architecture and scale of the Wats is daunting….. As is the numerous children trying to get you to buy their trinkets. I seriously am lost for words, you’ll just have to see the photos…. Absolutely amazing!!!!

The next day was an early start at 5am to see the sunrise over the crowning glory, Angkor Wat. This is the temple that is featured on the flag of Cambodia. After an hour of waiting with the throng, the sun peaked briefly above the horizon, basking the temple in light, before disappearing behind a bank of clouds. Angkor Wat took a good hour to explore everything, including the outer Bas Reliefs which recreate both religious and historical stories and cover the entire outside of the inner temple.

From Angkor Wat, we ventured to Angkor Thom, the largest of all the walled Wats, measuring over two square kilometres. Angkor Thom is the main religious area of the Angkor complex and houses the Bayon at the centre. This building is the one so publicised with all the faces of Buddha (it has over 170 currently and used to be closer to 200). The Elephant Wall and Baphuon are also within the outer walls and provided numerous side trips.

Out the East Gate of Angkor Thom, we stopped at the tallest of the Wats, Ta Keo, before heading to the infamous Ta Phrom. Made famous by Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider, this site has been left in a semi overgrown state, and although some reconstruction work has been done, most has been left as found. Trees with enormous roots growing down from the roof, stonework broken and tumbling, and moss and mould over everything, it gives you a real insight into what it would have been like to stumble across these masterpieces of history back in the 1850’s.

The rest of the days in Siem Reap were spent visiting markets, relaxing, and enjoying the company of the ever accommodating Anna and Smiley.

We shall miss Siem Reap, but with so much more to see and explore, you can bet your bottom dollar we’ll be back in the future to “temple it” all over again.

"The journey not the arrival matters." -- T. S. Eliot


Additional photos below
Photos: 177, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb