Cambodia Day 1


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 9th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia - Day 1

Me and Jessica flew into Siem Reap from Kulua Lumper airport on the Wednesday morning. The only direct flight was 2 hours long and left at 7am. With the time difference we it was only 8am there, very early in the morning. Going though immigration was very easy, but a time consuming process. We had to bring passport photos for our visa application forms and fill the forms out only in the airport. Everyone of the plane was racing each other to get done quickly to avoid the inevitable queues. After the forms were handed in and the $25US dollar processing fee paid you stood about waiting for you name to be shouted out and go and collect your passport with the visa attached inside. Then you still had to go the the immigration checkpoint to leave the airport. The most striking thing was that none of the custom staff were over 40years old.

Left the airport and we got a taxi to the hotel. Our hotel was away from most of the international hotel chains that have been appearing in Cambodia on highway 6 between the airport and the town of Siem Reap. Ours
Thats not Bar Street is it?Thats not Bar Street is it?Thats not Bar Street is it?

Workers being kept busy just before BAR st
was an old French Colonial building just 5 mins from Bar Street(where all the bars are naturally) It cost $7US dollars standard charge no matter where your going. $US dollars is the main currency used here. You pay for anything and everything in dollars and if you get small change back it will be in the Cambodian Riel. 4000 odd Riel gives you a dollar so you will hardly ever use them. Think that's the idea, that way you give the locals more money or tips.

Our taxi driver was called Choi and he show us his business card for hiring a driver for a day. All the guide books said $30 maximum and he was no different. His English was almost perfect and he was friendly enough so we agreed to hire his services for 1 day to see how we got on.
After all the travelling we took an relaxed and easy first day hanging about the pool and going out later on for a walk around the area and found a nice local restaurant for dinner. I ordered two meals as usual


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Green/yellow/redGreen/yellow/red
Green/yellow/red

Possibly the only set of Traffic lights in all of Cambodia
Bar StBar St
Bar St

There it is. The heart fo Siem Reap. The place to go for the nightlife. The place to party......but its Flooded. And the worse thing is tno one had the idea of a wet t-shirt competition


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb