A couple days in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 28th 2019
Published: May 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

After the whirlwind of temple visits, I had a couple days to enjoy life in Cambodia before heading home. We took a ride out on Tonle Sap Lake - which is apparently a big draw for tourists, but it is the dry season and it's a bit low and muddy. It was a nice trip out to visit a floating restaurant and see the gators. We saw the floating villages - houses on stilts, water buffalo and fisherman netting fish in the wake of other boats.

Additionally, we stopped at a site where those who were killed by the Khmer Rouge are memorialized (you'll see the building with the skulls, and the buddha). The genocidal devastation brought about by the Khmer Rouge in the late 70s is truly horrific and should not be forgotten. Neither should we forget the role of foreign governments in the creation of and actions by the Khmer Rouge. .

On to lighter things. The food here is...different and now I know why I've never seen a Cambodian restaurant in the states. Shopping is great, with plenty of Cambodian products to purchase as you please. There are many opportunities to purchase items through collectives where they have done a decent job of employing people with disabilities. This country runs on American dollars - something I've never seen before, so don't worry about changing money, be more worried about the prices being artificially high. Siem Reap is considered a resort town, and I haven't been to the capital or other areas, so I can't speak to whether prices here are similar to the rest of the country. Ultimately - expect to pay prices similar (somewhat slightly lower on some things) to what you would pay int the US.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb