Battambang


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Battambang
July 21st 2015
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We caught a mini van 12 seater "V.I.P" to Battambang. It was a nice drive.. if you like the driving style on off on off on off the accelerator so much it makes you sea sick. There was lots of straight roads which gives the driver plenty of opportunities to overtake. We like to call it playing chicken. It's almost like a video game where you take risks because you know you're not actually going to die for real.

The front two rows of seats had seatbelts, because these people had a direct line to the windscreen. The rest of us had our fingernails, or in my case my legs tucked under the seat so I could hold the two sleeping babies!

After a lunch break our driver settled down, perhaps he was hangry? Or we had made good time, whatever it was we were pleased to be able to relax into the drive and enjoy the new scenery.

Cambodia is remarkably different to Vietnam in so many ways. The vegetation is different, the farming style is different, the houses are mostly wood or tin on stilts, the shops are small, the people are physically different, possibly more
warm and welcoming (though not nearly as fast to whisk Elsie away to meet everyone). English is also more commonly spoken and understood which makes things a little easier for us.

Currency is a mix of American dollar and Cambodian riel, generally change is given in dollars and riel for the cents, luckily the conversion is pretty easy 4000 to a dollar. But counting your change is a challenge sometimes!

We arrived in Battambang just after lunch and checked in. Louise had given us a list of people to meet and things to do, so we set out to find our way around the town centre. First stop was lotus bar and gallery for some art, cool drinks and some snacks that didn't arrive. A lovely exhibition of women by women spanned the cafes 3 floors.

Since our snack order got mixed up we decided to move on elsewhere to eat. We headed round to jaan Bai (rice bowl) another social enterprise place for disadvantaged youth. The food (Khmer style), smoothies and service were beautiful (Lela we took pictures for you).

Next was a stroll along the river front where the local kids were raging around a newly built playground. Agus had so much fun swinging, sliding, seesawing and examining toys he might be able to buy some day.

On the walk home we were stopped by two super friendly guys out the front of their bric a brac shop / bar and luxury B and B. We immediately recognised them as Louise and Maree's friends Robert and Morrison. They gave us a full tour of their spectacular rooms and loads of local advice, we felt a bit like family.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th July 2015
Elsie found the jar of Vegemite

Happy Little Vegemite!
That's the happy Elsie for you. Always has a smile on her face. No wonder the whole of Asia wants to hold her.
25th July 2015
New bed

Plastic
The both of them like to go through your wallet. Better keep it locked up when they are teenagers.
25th July 2015
Corn fritters

yummy, I want some
Lela said "enak".' Mau dong.' Can you bring some back for her?

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb