Angkor Wat & Preah Kahn Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 20th 2006
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

The largest religious temple in the WORLD! Angkor Wat
August 20th

We entered Angkor by a Tuk Tuk (motorized cart) and discovered that this was a better way to experience the surroundings. Our itinerary today was Ta Prohm, Preah Khan, Banteay Kdei and the Sras Srang (a large lake). We toured the temples leisurely stopping frequently. The temples were an architectural delight and we took plenty of pictures. We returned to the hotel for a brief break and headed back in late afternoon to visit the crown jewel of Angkor-Angkor Wat!

Angkor Wat was a Hindu Temple devoted to Vishnu and was built between 1113AD and 1150AD by Suryavarman II. The outer limits is bounded by a broad water filled moat. The total dimensions of the temple is 1.5 km x 1.3 km making this the single largest religious monument in the world. Subsequently the temple became a Buddhist wat (temple). The temple stands brilliantly in the center of the moat- you can see three towers as you approach it from a distance. As opposed to traditional Hindu temples that face east, this temple interestingly faces west. We toured the temple and climbed up a steep staircase to enter the inner sanctum where we were rewarded with a beautiful sunset.

August 21rst
We left Siem Reap for Bangkok on our way to India.

Just a few thoughts on Cambodia:
Aside from the intense heat that I have not experienced before, it is truely the people of Cambodia that make you appreciate the uniqueness of this land. As I left Cambodia I was filled with a mixture of thoughts and emotions. You cannot help but be touched by the land and more importantly the people of Cambodia. Though I remember seeing the movie the “killing fields” many years ago and being struck by the unthinkable actions, it was not until I met the people here that I realized the incredible impact of what happened and how it affected so many of the people here. Our guide for Angkor lost his father and two sisters to the Khmer Rouge.

There were countless children begging for food or trying to sell little trinkets to you and insisted that you buy if they could name the capital of your state in the U.S. Although this was at times sad to see there were many happy occasions that I would witness as children played games with each other and parents
Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

Vishnu within Angkor Wat
tickled their children to get a huge smile out of them. The country is now on its way towards the peaceful life and economic prosperity it once had. Cambodia has left a lasting impression on us and we feel fortunate to have visited this land.





Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

One of the four water basins within Angkor Wat
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Looking up at one of the towers within the courtyard.
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Kyle standing in the courtyard
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Dusk at Angkor Wat
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Anciet script on the walls of Angkor Wat
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

A local family enjoying dinner outside the Angkor Wat compound
Preah KhanPreah Khan
Preah Khan

This is an example of how the trees have been destroyed much of the temples.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb