Temples temples temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 7th 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We started slightly later than planned today as during the night Eireann was quite poorly. She was better by morning but we were both feeling pretty tired. Breakfast at the hotel was very simple but very yummy and helped me feel a little more human.



Our tuk tuk driver took us to Angkor Wat first and agreed to wait for us under a tree somewhere in the general direction of about 200 other tuk tuks. Angkor Wat is HUGE. The sun was beating down and the dark rocks were reflecting a lot of the heat back up. Before we even crossed the lake to the entrance of the outer wall we were sweaty and gross and were really glad to get into the shade of the temple. The temples are very impressive. There were, however, 1/2 the population of China milling around taking photographs and in general being really rude, pushing and spitting and allowing their kids running riot. It didn't diminish the experience and I took lots of pictures and we even spent some time thanking Buddha with a bit of incense.

The fact that its so giant means that there were times, when we were a little bit lost, that we found quiet little corners that had no other people around. If we found corners with a bit of a draft it was pure bliss. We stayed at Angkor Wat for about two hours then it was back to our tuk tuk for the next temples!

Angkor Thom was pretty much empty when we arrived. The First of the temples we got to was what I had imagined Angkor Wat to be like. I felt a bit like Indiana jones. It was crumbling and ancient. It was confusing and they hadn't replaced any of the carvings with plaster copies. It was amazing! And definitely my favourite! The stone faces were all slightly different and the cravings, were, in places, just as good as Angkor Wat... They were just less extensive. We found quiet places to sit and just take in all that we were seeing. After about an hour of wandering (and sweating!!) Angkor Thom started up fill up with tourists too. We stayed about another hour before going to the temple with all the giant trees growing out of it.

By this time we were getting exhausted and once I was satisfied that I had enough pictures of monkeys and temples and carvings we headed back to the hotel for a moment of peace and quiet by the pool. It started to rain about 10 minutes later (and didn't stop until the following morning - at the Thai border!! ) we headed to siem reap for some tea but as we were catching a taxi to Poipet (the border town) very early in the morning, last nights Angkor Whaaaaaaat?! Adventures could not be repeated. Back to

Thailand tomorrow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb